license and client and version

oberionoberion Posts: 41
edited January 20, 2006 5:55PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
some quick questions:

-how do I enter my serial number into red-gate sql backup 4.0.0.113?
-how do I tell if I have the pro or standard edition?
-is there a client where I can install on my laptop and monitor all the instances that has sql backup 4.0.0.113 installed?

Thus far, I am loving the new interface and functionality of this new version.

Thanks.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Serial numbers are entered via the GUI. Select a server instance on the Servers Panel, right click, select 'License activation'.

The type of license is displayed on the Properties Panel, and is represented by different icons on the Servers Panel.

There isn't a standalone client installation, but you could just use the regular install, and copy SQLBackup.exe to whichever workstation you want to use it on. Well, that's from the technical point of view. I would suggest asking Sales if they are ok with this.

I would also suggest downloading the work-in-progress help file from http://www.red-gate.com/support/help_files/sqlbackup.chm.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
    I should qualify my posting re the using the GUI. You need SQLBackup.exe (the GUI) and at least the necessary SQL Server client connectivity components (SQL 2000 or SQL 2005).
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • petey, thanks for your response.

I have 7 instances on a single box, do I need to enter the license key for 7 instances or will one suffice?

Thanks.
    Entering once will suffice. The GUI should immediately refresh the state of all the other server nodes in the Servers Panel, UNLESS you are running multiple clustered instances.

Actually, it just tries to look for all servers with the same machine name to update. If you name them differently e.g. some with IP address, some with (local) and others with machine name (well, there are some fun-loving DBAs' out there), then yeah, the nodes will probably not reflect the change in license immediately.

If that's the case, either 'Refresh' the unchanged server nodes, or just restart the GUI.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Thanks for the prompt response petey.

The link you gave me ( www.red-gate.com/support/help_files/sqlbackup.chm) doesn't seem to work. I would download the .chm file but when I open it, all I get is page can't be display..
    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/.

Basically, clear the 'Always ask before opening this file' check box.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • yup, that did the trick.