Programmatically set SMTP host

Eric NolenEric Nolen Posts: 9
edited March 5, 2013 2:30PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if there is a way to set the SMTP host information pragmatically rather than going through "Tools" -> "Server Options" -> "Email Settings".

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

I tried checking out the SQL Compact Database and searching for possible config files on the file system but I didn't see anywhere this information is stored on the server. I was browsing the forums as well and I have yet to find anything that might point me in the right direction.

My end goal was to setup a script/process that can go in and update the SMTP host information across all of my SQL Backup installations.

I'm running SQL Backup 7.2.1.82.
-Eric Nolen

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Try this:
    EXEC master..sqbutility 1040, 'SMTPHost', 'myhost.smtp.com'
    EXEC master..sqbutility 1041, 'SMTPPort', 135

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Peter,

This is what I was looking for, I've tested it out and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help.

FYI: For anyone else interested... the SQL Backup GUI must cache the email settings at some level because the only way I can get it to reflect that changes made by the stored proc call is to close out and re-enter the GUI. Even if I forced a refresh on the server it would not reflect the updated value. Thew me off for a minute when I was validating.

Also the actual values seemed to be stored in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<INSTANCE>\
    -Eric Nolen