SQLBackup getting stuck randomly while backing up db

fed1999fed1999 Posts: 4
edited February 26, 2013 10:33AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

We have an issue on one of the SQL instances with the backups. We are using SQLBackup 6.5.1.9, and have log shipping setup for about 45 databases that runs hourly log backups, and backs them up to a local drive (we then have another process that copies the files to the client's FTP). Sometimes the log backup gets stuck for one of those 45 databases. It still runs successfully for all other databases, however doesnt run for that particular database (for which its stuck). To resolve that we have to restar the SQLBackup Agent service. Until we do that, it will show as backing up, when we run 'sqbstatus' command, however the 'processed' and 'compressed' numbers are not changing. So essentially its stuck. This is causing quite a big of issue for our clients, and i am wondering if anyone has encountered this issue, and what the fix is.

Also, just a note, we are running 50 other SQL instances, some with more than 80 databases, with the same 6.5.1.9 version of SQLBackup, and log backups are running every 15 mins, with no such issues.

This issue is only happening on the instance where we have log shipping setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we are out of ideas.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When SQL Backup encounters a critical error, it generates a stack trace of events leading up to the error. This stack trace is then stored in a file named SQBCoreService_<instance name>_bugreport.txt, and is located in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows 2003 and older, and 'C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows Vista and newer.

Could you please check if that file exists on your system? If it does, could you please send it to us?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

We are running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and the only folder I see in C:\ProgramData\Red Gate is Licenses folder.

Here are the errors from the Windows Application Log at the time when the backup gets stuck for a database:

Error 1:
    Source: MSSQL$<our_instance_name>
    Details:
    Cannot open backup device 'SQLBACKUP_C3552F58-B1F1-4B1E-9D16-75A6261F95C8'. Operating system error 0x80770006(error not found).

Error 2:
    Source: SQLVDI
    Details:
    SQLVDI: Loc=SVDS::Open. Desc=Bad State. ErrorCode=(-1). Process=29412. Thread=47416. Server. Instance=RRDBB. VD=Global\SQLBACKUP_C3552F58-B1F1-4B1E-9D16-75A6261F95C8_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

Thanks
  • Actually I was on the wrong server when i checked the C:\ProgramData folder. I did find the file that you were asking about. How could i send it to you?

Thanks
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You can send it to me using peter.yeoh@red-gate.com.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8