Options

Slow performance vs2012.1

coffeehousecoffeehouse Posts: 2 New member
edited March 24, 2014 7:11AM in SQL Connect
Hello and thanks for the great tools!

I wanted to give some feedback and/or see if i am not alone in this.

I have a rather large db of 20k+ objects (tables, views, sp's, function's,schema's, etc..)

When i have this in my solution, scrolling the list of tables, views, proc's etc, its so slow that its not even worth scrolling. In fact the only way i can use it, is utilizing the search box in the solution explorer.

Is this whats expected? I didn't think the scrolling would be such drain and its not for the SQL Server Database Projects i have in the now.

Spec for my comp:
i5-2500k 3.3ghz
8gb ddr3 1600 ram
hard disk - sandisk ssd 240gb.
gigabyte motherboard.

Its a screamer and my large solutions load in about 15 secs, so the performance hit i seen was not expected, but maybe its something i did? or is this expected?

Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Coffeehouse,

Thank you for your forum post and sorry for the late reply.

A support call has been created for you, call reference F0069618

Can you please locate the SQL Connect log files normally available in this folder, C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Connect 1, and send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com, include the above call reference number in the subject field of the e-mail and attach the log file or files to the e-mail message?

I have looked through previous support calls, thus far you appear to be the first user to reported this type of error.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    I am experiencing the exact same thing. Is there a solution for this?

Just installed SQL Connect to evaluate it, and I have around 1700 objects (tables + sprocs).

Scrolling is impossible. I can click somewhere in the scroll bar and it takes around 5-10 seconds for the list to move down around 10 items.

SQL Connect is totally useless unless this is resolved.

Running VS2013 with latest version of SQL Connect and SQL Source Control (downloaded from site today).

Best regards
    Thomas

P.S. let me know if you want log files. I am also a bit taken back by the fact that a lot of log files of 50 MB each are generated. See timestamps here:

SQL Connect 1-2014_03_24_09_52_50_0.log
    SQL Connect 1-2014_03_24_11_37_08_0.log
    SQL Connect 1-2014_03_24_11_41_18_0.log

50 MB of logging in just 4 minutes? That's insane... I can't imagine how much space that will take up if I start using this correctly. Perhaps it is the writing of log files that is slowing everything down?