What should the autogrowth size be for the RedGateMonitor DB

lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 4 Bronze 2
edited April 24, 2013 2:06PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I've got RedGate set to monitor 3 DBs and the actual RedGateMonitor database size right now is around 8GB and the log is around 1.5GB. This is will a full backup setup nightly.

Currently the RedGateMonitor DB has 24MB free space and the autogrowth is set for 5% and the log at 10%.

Now, I've only been running this thing since 1/3/2013 (17 days) so I have two main questions.

1) What should the autogrowth be set at for the RedGateMonitor database/log file

2) Does this size seem excessing? Any recommendations.

I'm just using the out of the box alerts with SMTP setup. One thing I have noticed is the tool is SLOW. It's the only thing running and has 6GB memory all to itself. :(

Comments

• Hi lnielsen,

Thanks for your post. In regards to your question about the autogrowth settings, this is really dependant upon the amount of data that is being retained and collected by SQL Monitor. The more servers, databases, amount of DB activity, etc all are factors in the amount of data that is going to be collected. Since you are running out of space, it should be increased accordingly. The 8GB for the current size does not seem excessive for an active DB server that is being monitored and if there are multiple servers being monitored.

You can also help reduce the amount of data retained by adjusting the data purging settings. Reducing the amount of data that is retained will also bring down the size of the repository. To get to the purge settings:

Configuration -> Data Management -> Data Purging

Once the settings are adjusted and save, it will take a few hours for the effect of the size to show up in DB size. Regarding the performance of the tool, it is very dependant upon the amount of resources that are available on the machine in which the SQL Monitor is installed such as CPU and RAM.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Steve Tanori
    866-997-0378
  • lnielsen wrote:
    I've got RedGate set to monitor 3 DBs and the actual RedGateMonitor database size right now is around 8GB and the log is around 1.5GB. This is will a full backup setup nightly.

Currently the RedGateMonitor DB has 24MB free space and the autogrowth is set for 5% and the log at 10%.

Now, I've only been running this thing since 1/3/2013 (17 days) so I have two main questions.

1) What should the autogrowth be set at for the RedGateMonitor database/log file

2) Does this size seem excessing? Any recommendations.

I'm just using the out of the box alerts with SMTP setup. One thing I have noticed is the tool is SLOW. It's the only thing running and has 6GB memory all to itself. :(

Never set auto-growth on any database to a percentage, use MB and fix values instead. It creates fragmentation and makes the queries slow!

I suggest to keep an eye for a week or so, and put a fix MB value. I usually leave 20% available free space, above whatever it needs, so it will have space to growth without increasing the actual file, avoiding fragmentation.

How much should be? Like the RedGate engineering said, difficult to say. Just keep an eye on it.