Relative paths in .scp file

tom@cabanski.comtom@cabanski.com Posts: 3
edited January 18, 2013 3:34PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Want to share my sql compare project with other developers via source control. We put out project in different paths on our local computer. We are comparing a database to a scripts folder. Can I change the .scp file to use paths relative to the location of the .scp file?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I surmise the issue is that the SQL Compare project uses the full path to a scripts folder, when you compare between scripts folders, or a folder to another source.

There is currently no way of doing that - I can put in a feature request. More than likely it would only be possible to use a path relative to the SQL Compare program itself, as that location is known to Windows as it's in the running environment.
  • Why not relative to the location of the .scp file? If you opened it, you know where it is. That would make the most sense and would make it possible to share the file in source control without worrying about where it happens to be installed.

Every other development tool on the planet seems to have dealt with this years ago. Think it's time for SQL Compare to do it too.
    Hello,

I surmise the issue is that the SQL Compare project uses the full path to a scripts folder, when you compare between scripts folders, or a folder to another source.

There is currently no way of doing that - I can put in a feature request. More than likely it would only be possible to use a path relative to the SQL Compare program itself, as that location is known to Windows as it's in the running environment.