Installation to multiple instances ?

randyjrandyj Posts: 48
edited January 18, 2006 3:29PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've downloaded the released version of SQL Backup 4.0.
It appears to suffer from the same issue with 'instances' that all the betas did... it installs on the default instance of the SQL Server on the machine, but doesn't recognize any other instances.

The help file seems to indicate that it will install to other instances as well... but it did not. Do I missinterpret the help file, and are other steps required to install to other instances oon the same server ?

Thanks !

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The main SQL Backup components consist of the GUI (sqlbackup.exe) and 2 server side components (SQBCoreService.exe and xp_sqlbackup.dll). When you run the regular setup, it installs the GUI (+ a couple of other support files) and also the server components for the default instance.

There is also a file named SQBServerSetup.exe. This is a server side setup file that installs only the 2 server side components.

We assume that you don't want to install the entire set of files for all your instances, so the GUI allows you to install just the server components on your other instances. To do that, select the server instance on the Servers panel, right click and select 'Install/Upgrade server components' item.

This should not be a problem on local servers, but might be a problem on remote servers if they are adequately locked down (I mean, wouldn't you be worried that we were able to copy an executable to your remote server AND run it).

I'll see what I can do to make these steps clearer in the help file. Thanks for the heads
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thats part of my problem - I cannot register a server /instance to select to install /upgrade.
    In the beta, we had to do 'sqbcoreservice -install -i <instance name>
    ' and then add the x_sprocs thru a query.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You can register an instance of SQL Server on the Servers panel, regardless of whether it has SQL Backup installed or not.

What is the error you encounter when you try to register the other instances?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • got it figured out ... My bad :>