Synonym support requested

kondrichkondrich Posts: 79 Bronze 2
edited January 15, 2013 5:24AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi Luke,

I found several feature requests concerning synonym support in Red Gate forums (back to SQL Prompt 3!): It was always put into feature request list, but SQL Prompt still lacks of support for synonyms.
Explanation: Synonym resolution support is crucial for us, since our database design and development strategy completely rely on them. We use synonyms for everything that is out of current database context. So we develop as if every used object was within current database. It's annoying to type an object name that is in fact a synonym - and SQL Prompt does not display auto-completion for the object itself nor for its columns etc. This renders SQL Prompt's auto completion and suggestions useless in many cases for us.

When will synonyms finally be supported within awesome SQL Prompt?
Regards, Klaus

Comments

• Hi Klaus,

Thanks for chasing this up.

Synonym support has not fallen off our radar--it's right in the center, along with support for XML. The problem is that they all require serious engineering effort--the last major rewrite took 12 months with a six person team. That said, there is a growing demand for these issues to be resolved so don't write them off just yet.

I'm hoping to put something in place this week to make it easier for users to give weight to these types of feature request and to make sure they don't get lost or scattered across multiple forums.

Cheers,

Luke
  • Just wanted to throw in my hat for support for synonyms.
  • aolcotaolcot Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    I too would love to see support for synonyms within SQL Prompt. SQL prompt is indispensable for us now and adding synonym would just be perfect
  • Paul StephensonPaul Stephenson Posts: 125
    edited January 15, 2013 5:24AM
    Hi all,

Please make sure you vote on SQL Prompt's Feature Suggestions Forum.

Synonyms are currently the second-most-voted-for item and we are reviewing what level of support we might be able to include in a future release. The more votes, the stronger the case for inclusion!

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • I know this is an old thread but 18 months later, there still isn't support for Synonyms and the link to the wishlist no longer works....
  • Hi s_solt,

It looks like the Feature Suggestions Forum URL has changed slightly. Thanks for pointing out the error.

SQL Prompt will offer auto-completion for synonym names if you turn on the experimental support at SQL Prompt 5 > Experimental Features... > Synonym Suggestions. Please give it a try if you haven't already!

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • kondrichkondrich Posts: 79 Bronze 2
    The current link to the wishlist is here.

When will there be full synonym support?
    Regards, Klaus