Exclude Databases option

etsuchiyaetsuchiya Posts: 5 Bronze 1
edited December 7, 2012 8:30PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi
I scheduled a backup job using the EXCLUDE OPTION to set aside thos databases i don't need to regularly backup.... Job is running well without any problems

Our SQL Server manages hundreds of databases some of which don't need to be backed up (demo databases) and therefore are excluded. If a DB is no longer required it is manually excluded from the respective backup jobs.

Question: How does SQL Backup keep track of the Databases that are backed up?. Is this list stored at some location?
I'm looking for a way to automatically exclude a database when it's no longer required to be backed up and update the job accordingly. Deleting the datase obviously would solve it but not a good alternative

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Each time a backup is ran with the EXCLUDE option, SQL Backup retrieves a list of active databases from SQL Server. It then removes the excluded databases from that list, then proceeds to back up the remaining databases.

You would need to maintain the exclusion list yourself, and add modify the SQL Backup command accordingly. Perhaps the following code snippet might provide some hints on how to do this:
    CREATE TABLE SQBTEST_DBsToExclude (db nvarchar(128))
    GO
    INSERT INTO SQBTEST_DBsToExclude VALUES ('db1')
    INSERT INTO SQBTEST_DBsToExclude VALUES ('db2')
    INSERT INTO SQBTEST_DBsToExclude VALUES ('db3')
    INSERT INTO SQBTEST_DBsToExclude VALUES ('db4')
    INSERT INTO SQBTEST_DBsToExclude VALUES ('db5')
    GO

DECLARE @cmd NVARCHAR(MAX)
    DECLARE @dblist NVARCHAR(MAX)

SET @dblist = 
    (SELECT TOP 1
     SUBSTRING( 
     (
      SELECT ( ', ' + db)
      FROM SQBTEST_DBsToExclude t1
      FOR XML PATH('')
     ), 3, 2048)
    FROM SQBTEST_DBsToExclude)

SET @cmd = '-sql "BACKUP DATABASES EXCLUDE [' + @dblist + '] TO DISK = [<AUTO>]"'
    SELECT @cmd
    -- EXEC master..sqlbackup @cmd

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8