Restoring a DB backed up via SQL Back without SQL back

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
edited December 7, 2012 8:36PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
If I back up a database to multiple files using SQL back (so as to create several smaller files instead of 1 giant bak file) and then move those files to another SQL Server do I have to use SQL Back to restore the DB that is spread across those multiple files?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You will need to use SQL Backup if you want to restore directly from those files.

The alternative is to first convert those files to native SQL Server backup files using the SQBConverterGUI or SQBConverter applications (found in the SQL Backup installation folder), then use SQL Server to restore using those converted files.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    petey wrote:
    You will need to use SQL Backup if you want to restore directly from those files.

The alternative is to first convert those files to native SQL Server backup files using the SQBConverterGUI or SQBConverter applications (found in the SQL Backup installation folder), then use SQL Server to restore using those converted files.

Thanks Petey. BTW - I did try and find this info first but could not. Is this restriction mentioned naywhere in the SQL Back documentation? What about any mention of the 2 applications you mentioned, SQBConverterGUI & SQBConverter ?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    I don't know if this 'restriction' is mentioned anywhere in the documentation. If you need a version of SQL Backup to only restore databases, you could contact the Red Gate sales department for options.

With regards to the conversion applications, it's under 'Tools & Utilities > SQL Backup File Converter'.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8