Complete/Total compare

maZZoomaZZoo Posts: 4
edited January 13, 2006 12:19PM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
We need to be able to merge DB1 into DB2 ( from a class in out .NET project) . This include both table structure and data.

If this can be done with your current software solution, how is it done ?

-Philip

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Please have a look into SQL Packager. It can synchronize schema and data and opposed to just the schema like SQL Compare. SQL Packager can create a file that will create a whole new database, but it can also produce a file that will synchronize the changes between two databases.
  • Thank you for the quick reply !

Can the SQL Packager make the "snapshots" runtime, from our own code ?

The functionality we want, requires ud to be able to make snapshots at a given time in our problem. So that DB1 can be "copied" to DB2 runtime.

-Philip
    Hello,

I'm not sure I understand your question... Do you want to add your own custom SQL Script to the Package? Packager produces a SQL schema and data migration script, then it creates an executable that runs these scripts.
  • I want to make it possible to replicate an existing database to another database.
    I do not know the database structure, tables or anything in my code, so the replication have to be done dynamicly. Not with a script of a previously known database structure.

Hope this makes it clearer.

-Philip
    This would be possible for the schema; using SQL Compare, you could save a snapshot of the schema and compare the live database to the snapshot. Unfortunately this isn't possible with the data, even using SQL Packager. SQL Data Compare and Packager require two live data sources.
This discussion has been closed.