Options

Delete deprecated XML File System.String[] from repository

ismeisme Posts: 119
edited November 16, 2012 6:17AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm using SQL Compare to script out a new object into version control.

I compared a database to my local scripts folder and selected one stored procedure for 'deployment'.

The Files tab lists two file actions:
Modify fileRedGateDatabaseProperties.xml
Create file Stored Procedures\dbo.uspWidgetDelete.sql

The Warnings tab lists two informational messages:
Severity: Information
Title: If using source control please add new XML file C:\fakepath\WidgetDB\RedGateDatabaseProperties.xml to the repository
Title: If using source control you can delete deprecated XML File System.String[] from the repository

I understand the first message. The RedGateDatabaseProperties.xml file should always be part of the repository.

I don't understand the second message. There is no file called System.String[] in the repository. Coincidentally, System.String[] is the name of a .NET type.

What does the second message mean?
Iain Elder, Skyscanner

Comments

• Options
    I think the deprecated file is RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml.

Perhaps the second informational message should instead look like this:
    Title: If using source control you can delete deprecated XML File C:\fakepath\WidgetDB\RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml from the repository

Am I correct to assume that RedGateDatabaseProperties.xml is a replacement for RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml?

Perhaps just one informational message explaining that one file is to replace the other would be more helpful.

My local scripts folder is also an svn working copy. I used the svn status command to show all the changes made by SQL Source Control. The output looks like this:
    C:\fakepath\WidgetDB>svn status
    ! RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml
    ? Stored Procedures\dbo.uspWidgetDelete.sql
    ? RedGateDatabaseProperties.xml

The output shows that SQL Compare created two new files, Stored Procedures\dbo.uspWidgetDelete.sql and RedGateDatabaseProperties.xml, and deleted one file, RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml.

The .sql file represents the change I intended to make, and the .xml files are metadata for the Red Gate tools.
    Iain Elder, Skyscanner
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for your submission. I have logged bug SC-6112 with our development team.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I just created a new link to source control and it creates RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml, so this should be the current file. I can't find any references to the "Properties" file in any past support cases or anywhere else.