Lost sql prompt as addin to ssms

damcisdamcis Posts: 12
edited November 21, 2012 11:10AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
My sql prompt is gone from SSMS. Tried to get it back by:
Uninstalled all of sql server management studio and its components. Then uninstalled all of the red gate products (we own sql developers bundle) and then reinstalled SSMS and then redgate and it still does not show.

How can I fix this?
Dan

Comments

• Hi damcis,

Thanks for your post. We have created a support ticket for you in regards to this issue and will be contacting you shortly.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    866-997-0378
  • I was never contacted...
    stanori wrote:
    Hi damcis,

Thanks for your post. We have created a support ticket for you in regards to this issue and will be contacting you shortly.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    Dan
  • Hi damcis,

Sorry that you havent been contacted. It looks like we may have an old email address for you. (I just sent you a Private Msg so we can get a current email address)

In regards to this issue, can you please verify that you are running the latest build of SQL Prompt:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLP ... 3.6.28.zip

Also, we will want to find out what OS and SSMS version you are running.

Thanks,
    Steve
    866-997-0378
  • I'm also in a pickle here.

I have SQL Server 2005 EE servers and SQL Server 2008 EE servers.

I installed SQL client for 2008 on my PC and installed SQL Prompt on it.

However, that client gets snarky about opening up the properties on Jobs running on SQL Server 2005 servers.

I got tired of having to deal with it an so I re-installed the SQL Client for 2005.

So, in short, I have both SSMS 2008 and SSMS 2005 running on my PC.
    SQL Prompt is still on my toolbar for the SSMS 2008, but not on SSMS 2005.

I have the SQL Prompt license as part of the toolbelt.

So I'm wondering, is this license sufficient to cover both instances of SSMS on my PC. Seems like it should be, but I'm asking because I don't see a way to install it into SSMS 2005.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Randy Volters
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters
  • Hi randyv,

In terms of the licensing you do not need two licenses if you are going to run SQL Prompt in two different versions of SSMS.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    866-997-0378
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    edited November 16, 2012 5:50PM
    Hi Randy,

If you're on a dev workstation and have a MSDN subscription, you could get the SQL2008R2 iso and install just the tools.

I've found that SQL 2005, 2008/R2 and 2012 are all tolerated without issue, with SQL Prompt installed, too. All are Enterprise Edition, with a few Standard instances thrown in and a bunch of Express flavors from 2005 and 2008R2.

Hope this helps...

UPDATE:
    Dang! First ever issue - right-click Edit Table gives a nasty prefix-suffix error... Try again and the Edit Table window is all grey. At least it works for everything else - so far!
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Steve -

So the next question, how do I install it on SSMS 2005?

Just grab a toolbelt download and install SQL Prompt?
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters
  • I'm running latest version of SQL Prompt. I can only tell that by trying to install it again.
    SSMS 2008 R2 on Window 7 64bit

Also, it had been working before, but my pc crashed (had to shut it down using the power button cause it wouldn't shut down normally) and it no longer shows in the menu. The tools menu shows sql compare, data compare, data generator, etc. I have completely reinstalled SSMS 2008 R2 and Sql Toolbelt and it didn't help. System restores don't go back far enough to get past the abnormal shutdown. Tried adding keys to the registry and that didn't help either.

-Dan
    stanori wrote:
    Hi damcis,

Sorry that you havent been contacted. It looks like we may have an old email address for you. (I just sent you a Private Msg so we can get a current email address)

In regards to this issue, can you please verify that you are running the latest build of SQL Prompt:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLP ... 3.6.28.zip

Also, we will want to find out what OS and SSMS version you are running.

Thanks,
    Steve
    :(:(:(
    Dan