SmartAssembly v.6.7.0.239 error without obfuscating anything

maximusdmmaximusdm Posts: 4
edited October 11, 2012 12:24PM in SmartAssembly
hi all
just got the latest and trial version and tried to obfuscating without activating or using any features such as control flow, etc...
It looks like is trying to validate the license. I am getting this error when I ran my program:

Stack Trace:
[ArgumentNullException: String reference not set to an instance of a String.
Parameter name: s]
System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles) +4579778
System.DateTime.Parse(String s) +27
SmartAssembly.License.License.() +534
SmartAssembly.License.License.ValidateDLL() +39
.cctor() +31

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception.]
System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache) +146
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache) +298
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +79
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +10366539
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +258
System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +382

[HttpException (0x80004005): The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11318726
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4347796

Any ideas?

Thank you

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hello!

Thanks for your post. Can I check--are you running the program on a different machine from where it was built (by SmartAssembly)? Assemblies built by a trial version of SmartAssembly can't be distributed, I'm afraid, though it should work fine on the original machine! :D

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Hello!

Thanks for your post. Can I check--are you running the program on a different machine from where it was built (by SmartAssembly)? Assemblies built by a trial version of SmartAssembly can't be distributed, I'm afraid, though it should work fine on the original machine! :D

Jessica,
    That does not make sense. I have a C# console app which I compiled with SmartAssembly and has been running in our lab for a week. It does show a warning that it will expire in 2 weeks or so.
    I compiled in my laptop and am running in different servers.
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Sorry about that! You're right, my distributed test app does seem to work (though it should still expire after 2 weeks). I'm trying to sort out now when it will give an expiration warning vs. when it simply won't run.

For now, does that same C# app that's working on other machines run successfully on the machine giving this ArgumentNullException error?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Sorry about that! You're right, my distributed test app does seem to work (though it should still expire after 2 weeks). I'm trying to sort out now when it will give an expiration warning vs. when it simply won't run.

For now, does that same C# app that's working on other machines run successfully on the machine giving this ArgumentNullException error?

It does! flawlessly! but it's a console app. The problematic app is a asp.net app compiled into one final DLL with a dependency in another core DLL. The core DLL is not being obfuscated.