Bug: 3.1.0.4583 Extended Properties not recog as changes

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
I used SQL Doc 2 to document every table and column in two, small, databases.

PROBLEM 1:
When I went to SSMS, I was surprised to see no ying-yang icon denoting pending changes.

Right-clicked the database and "Refresh" - NOTHING CHANGED.

In the SSC UI, nothing showed up.

Clicked the Refresh icon next to "Commit" and - THEY ALL SHOW UP!

It appears that the "changes detection" code doesn't engage when an outside agent makes a change...

PROBLEM 2:
One of the Extended Properties AFTER the commit is being presented as still having a pending change. Hit "Commit" again. And there it is again, still a Pending Change, identical to what it was before.

Perhaps there's a character in the Extended Property that is throwing the Compare off?

What do you need to assist your debugging?

Here's what is actually in the Entity Description IN THE DATABASE (looking exactly like it should):
EXEC sp_addextendedproperty N'MS_Description', N'Configuration values for the Log File Acquisition System.  Set as of 2012-09-21:

Entity		Attribute		Value
=========  	========	==========
LogFileArchive	FileDirectory	c:\NovarArchive
LogFileInput	FileDirectory	c:\Novar
LogFileInput	FileExtension	.LG0
Transfer	StartDate	1/1/2012', 'SCHEMA', N'dbo', 'TABLE', N'Configuration', NULL, NULL
GO
And here's what it looks like AFTER the Commit has MANGLED IT:
EXEC sp_addextendedproperty N'MS_Description', N'Configuration values for the Log File Acquisition System.  Set as of 2012-09-21:

Entity		Attribute		Value
=========  	========	==========
LogFileArchive	FileDirectory	c:\NovarArchiveLogFileInput	FileDirectory	c:\NovarLogFileInput	FileExtension	.LG0
Transfer	StartDate	1/1/2012', 'SCHEMA', N'dbo', 'TABLE', N'Configuration', NULL, NULL
GO

The PASTED ORIGINAL was mangled when I posted this, so I added a carriage return after each of the lines under the equals-line so you can see it. Appears that although the presentation in the before-pane is correct, the preparation of the update and/or SVN itself, flattens the lines out if they don't have a CR, just an LF... (Just theorizing)
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• I'll take a look at this, but I think it's more a SQL Source Control problem.

Are you using the shared or dedicated development model?
    Chris
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Shared on all databases.

Thanks, Chris.
    Decide wisely...
  • Sorry for the delay.

This is fixed in the next update to SQL Source Control (any build > 3.1.0.4731).

It looks like there was an issue with the polling query we used, so certain changes didn't show up. Incidentally, if you added the extended property through SSMS, the indicator wouldn't show up until you refresh either, so it wasn't just external modifications causing the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to report this.
    Chris
    Thanks, Chris.

To which of the original problems are you referring - I assume #1.

Have you looked at the "escape behavior problem" reported as Problem #2?
    Decide wisely...
  • Problem 2 looks ok with the latest version too.

To test:

1) Added the following to DB1
    EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty @name=N'MS_Description', @value=N'Configuration values for the Log File Acquisition System.  Set as of 2012-09-21: 

Entity      Attribute      Value 
    =========     ========   ========== 
    LogFileArchive   FileDirectory   c:\NovarArchive 
    LogFileInput   FileDirectory   c:\Novar 
    LogFileInput   FileExtension   .LG0 
    Transfer   StartDate   1/1/2012' , @level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'dbo', @level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'Test'
    GO

2) Comitted to SVN repo

3) Did a 'get latest' from DB2

4) scripted out the extended property from DB2
    EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty @name=N'MS_Description', @value=N'Configuration values for the Log File Acquisition System.  Set as of 2012-09-21: 

Entity      Attribute      Value 
    =========     ========   ========== 
    LogFileArchive   FileDirectory   c:\NovarArchive 
    LogFileInput   FileDirectory   c:\Novar 
    LogFileInput   FileExtension   .LG0 
    Transfer   StartDate   1/1/2012' , @level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'dbo', @level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'Test'
    GO

Chris
    Thanks, Chris. Will test it out once released.

Cheers.
    Decide wisely...