SQL Developer Bundle installer stuck at "Scanning volumes"

kevinkennykevinkenny Posts: 3
edited September 20, 2012 8:33AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm trying to install SQL Compare 10 and SQL Data Compare 10 from the 14 day developer trial bundle.

The installer gets stuck at "Scanning volumes". I have seen this FAQ article which says this may happen if installing from a network share:

http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/G ... 0909000433

However I'm launching the installer (SQLDeveloperBundle.exe) from my local C: drive on my PC.

I also had a look at what the installer was up to in SysInternals ProcessMonitor and noticed that installer just seems to go through a cycle of CreateFile/FileSystemControl/CloseFile operations in a bunch of folders in c:\users then appears to stop.

The five minutes later there's some more activity but this time it did some registry key operations, and then stopped again.

At his point in time it's been ~9 minutes since I started the installer and it seems to be getting nowhere fast.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition SP1.

Any ideas what why this is happening?

**Update**

I tweeted RedGate's @KickassSupport about this and they suggested:

1. We've had users report that can happen if the install path doesn't have a \ at the end, i.e. "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\" -

I tried that but it makes no difference.

2. also worth trying launching it by right-clicking and selecting 'Run as Administrator', if you haven't been doing that already -

I tried this too and it also made no difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• **Solved!**

Had a quick look in the System event log and discovered a load of these:
    Log Name:      System
    Source:        cdrom
    Date:          20/09/2012 12:10:59
    Event ID:      7
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      BUZZ
    Description:
    The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

I ejected the drive tray which had a CD loaded and the installer completed successfully.

I'm not sure what "Scanning volumes" is all about, but maybe it should ignore removable media drives such as CD/DVD/BR. Why would you want to scan my 1970's scary Italian prog rock compilation? :)
  • It's more of a question for the Microsoft Windows Installer team. I hear they're huge Emerson, Lake, and Palmer fans.