Virtual Restore - fails with HyperBac Control Service error

jcatjcat Posts: 9
edited October 9, 2012 5:26PM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
Trying to do a virtual restore of a compressed backup made with Backup Pro. It's erroring on the "Configure HyperBac Control Service" step with this message:
Exception Message:

HyperBac Control SERvice did not update status.dat file
Everything looks fine, the HyperBac Control Service is running... I'm at a loss.

My end-goal here is to restore some data from one table. Object Level Recovery, used directly on the full backup, takes *forever* so I was hoping this would work better.

Anything I should check here? Thanks.

EDIT:
I've insured that the status.dat file does exist in the folder it should, permissions to the file and that folder are good and everything *looks* fine. Just can't figure out what the problem is.

Comments

• I am the support engineer investigating this issue you have raised. I am really sorry that you have run into this issue. I was hoping to get some clarifications in regards to the activity on the system?

1) What is the size of database backup and the version of SQL Backup that this was created with?
    2) Have you been able to do any restores at all using the wizard?
    3) Are you able to let me know the size of the databases that point to these backups?
    4) Please let me know if this install was done using a local administrative account?
    5) If possible please send me the service.log file (located at \hyperbac\logs directory).
    6) Any other files that exist in this location that correspond to the time this issue happens.
    7) Are you able to try a restore via SQL Mgt studio instead of the SVR wizard and send me the results?

This forum thread has opened a support request in our support system. I will be dealing with this via our support system with future replies.

Thanks for your patience and feedback in this matter.
  • 1) What is the size of database backup and the version of SQL Backup that this was created with?
    The compressed backup file is 39.6GB (168GB database) done with SQL Backup version 6.4.0.56

2) Have you been able to do any restores at all using the wizard?
    I've never used Virtual Restore before this. I've restored before using SQL Object Level Recovery Pro which does work, it's just very slow against large database backups.

3) Are you able to let me know the size of the databases that point to these backups?
    168GB database that is being backed up.

4) Please let me know if this install was done using a local administrative account?
    Yes it was.

5) If possible please send me the service.log file (located at \hyperbac\logs directory).
    No problem - I'll email it in response to your last email to me.

6) Any other files that exist in this location that correspond to the time this issue happens.
    No other log files and I'm not seeing anything in the service.log file that has to do with the error I'm seeing.

7) Are you able to try a restore via SQL Mgt studio instead of the SVR wizard and send me the results?
    Can SSMS do a restore directly from the "SQL Backup" compressed backup file? I could do a restore through the Backup software, and have done so before with no problems. The trick is of course coming up with enough disk space for a full restore to a new database. The restore is a bit of a process so let me know if this step is really needed.

Thanks for your help!
  • I had a similar issue when running SQL Storage Compress. I was able to get past it by changing the log on account for the HyperBac service to a local account with administrator access.

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... hp?t=15935