Copy only backup feature request

Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge Posts: 132
edited September 10, 2012 12:06PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I did ask for this in testing but wonder if its been overlooked.

The whole point of a copy only backup is to not disrupt the backup and restore chain. When performing a copy only full backup in sql backup 7.0.5.1 it writes that the copy only backup has occured into the activity history as a normal full backup.

This affects the restore process because it now thinks that the copy only full backup is a valid file for the restore operation. It is likely that a copy only backup will have been moved to another location as thats the point of it.

The other issue is that differential backups cannot be restored against a copy only backup so for us because we do full backup at weekends and differentials every day, if we do a copy only full backup in the middle of the week we then cannot use the 1st page of the restore window because it incorrectly assumes the the copy only backup is a valid location to restore from. If we run a restore then the backup fails as the differential cannot be applied.
We have to then select all the individual files by hand

Can I have a feature request for a check box under the copy only backup checkbox to choose whether the copy only backup is written to the activity history. This would overcome this issue.

Comments

• I am the support engineer that is investigating this issue you have raised.

I have tried to respond to your questions mentioned below:

1) The copy only backup being displayed as a 'Full' backup is a visual issue that has been raised as a new feature request. The JIRA issue for this is SB-4934. When this is fixed I have put in a note for you to be notified.

Thanks for your patience and feedback in this matter.

Regards,
  • This didn't make it into 7.0.6.2. Is it likely to be fixed in a 7.0 release in the near future?

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • Hi,

Can I get an answer about when this fix is likely to be available as I am delying our upgrade to v 7 until I know? If it's not likely to make an appearance soon then I will proceed without it and wait for it.

Can I be added to the list of notifications for SB-4934 please?

Thanks

Chris
  • Hi Chris

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. This feature will not be in the next release of SQL Backup (7.1) but we are considering it for version 7.2.

I will add you to the list of users to be notified when this change is made.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • So now for the availability question. Your roadmap used to show when you had planned new releases but not with your current roadmap. Is 7.1 and 7.2 planned for sooner rather than later?

Thanks

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

SQL Backup 7.1 will be released soon. We are expecting to release version 7.2 towards the end of Q3.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • Thanks for the update Marianne. I will now start the 6.5 to 7 upgrade and look for changes in 7.1 and 7.2.

Chris
  • Guess I should have just waited one more day. Now to look at 7.1.

Chris
  • I don't see this one in the 7.2 fixlist. Is it inclued in 7.2?

Thanks

Chris
  • Hello Chris,

Bug ID SB-4934 is still unresolved. This issue was raised because the restore wizard would include COPY_ONLY backups in the chain of backups that need to be restored to bring the database up to a specified point in time.
  • Sorry to hear that it is unresolved as it is a feature that we could certainly use.

Hopefully it will make it into 7.3.

Thanks

Chris