SQL backup 7.0 - There is already a copy of sql backup runni

murali.tal@aztec.com.aumurali.tal@aztec.com.au Posts: 3 New member
edited October 1, 2012 3:59AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I recently purchased the reg gate licenses and after the instalaltion i was getting this message when i tried to opened it "There is already a copy of SQL Backup running on this computer".

This is the first time i installed on a server.

Do any one come acrross this problem? Please help

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I've seen this one a few times - it's caused by the existence of a "lockfile" on the client-side activity history database that the SQL Backup Console uses. Since you can only have one console per user session, it assumes that if there is a lockfile present, the user is already running SQL Backup Console.

Please check %userprofile%\appdata\local\red gate\sql backup for a file called lockfile.pid. If it exists, delete it or check that it is not being locked by an anti-virus scan. If not, ensure you have full rights to the folder.
  • Thanks for the post.

There isn't any file named lockfile.pid in the location %userprofile%\appdata\local\red gate\sql backup. I checked with system administrator that anti virus isn't blocking.

When i looked at the task manager-->processes i can see that the redgate bakcup GUI is running in the background. After i killed the process i can able to open the redgate GUI.

Wasn't sure why it didn't stop the processes when i close the GUI. Is there a permission issue? But i was able to kill the redgate process using the same login.
  • Sorry, I can't determine the cause of this. There must have been a worker thread running that did not terminate when you closed the window. If this happens again, we can try attaching a debugger and getting a stack dump to try to see what it's doing.
  • You'll find this happens fairly often. Task Manager > End Process and restart the gui.
  • This never happens to me, unfortunately. If it happens again, please try this:
    • download ftp://support.red-gate.com/utilities/re ... bugger.zip
    • Extract and run redflag-x86
    • Use Actions->attach process and attach to RedGate.SQLBackup.ui.exe
    • Use actions->dump stacks
    • Copy the window content (click in it and CTRL-c)
    • Close window
    • Actions->detach process
    • Paste results into a forum reply

I should be able to interpret this and at least tell you what backup is doing.
  • meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
    Intermittently, this occurs on my client PC as well. Thanks for the process to use to report this. I have normally just killed the RedGate.SQLBackup.UI process on my PC and everything works.
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
    Also, I cannot say for sure, but this happens to me when I use the Windows "X" to close the program on my PC and is less likely to occur when I use the menu File/Exit process.
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • rrerre Posts: 42 Bronze 2
    This happens also for me from time to time. Sometimes I used window "X" button, sometimes the shortcut ALT + F4 or the Exit item from the File menu.
    I can't say for sure with which way the problem occur for now.

To solve it I use the task manager to kill the running process.