Vault 6.0 server support

maturmelmaturmel Posts: 27
Maybe I was dumb thinking it wouldn't hurt upgrading Vault, but I did anyway for their new features (Find in Files for example) and for the code everything is fine in VS2010, however SSC 3 has stopped working. Get Latest tab returns error "Server version not supported".

Vault 6.0 has been out for a little while already. Any plans to bring SSC 3 on par with this new version? Any early access release we could use in the meantime?

Thanks

Comments

• Just to follow up on my original post, I have opened ticket F0063339 in reference to this issue.

The initial response I get is this is in the plans, but they don't know yet when it's going to be made available. I am suggested to go down the command-line route in the meantime.

Anything useful I will post it here.

To me, the benefits of Vault 6.0 currently outmatch the pain I am getting with SSC 3. "Merge markers" and "find in files" being the major wins for Vault.

Marc-André
  • While trying to setup a custom config xml file for interfacing with Vault 6.0 command line fails (CLI parameters do not properly map to available macros in the xml file + you need to put credentials straight in the CL), I manage to get things working by providing a blank config xml file (no commands for all source control calls). The effect is that while it does not at all interact with the Source control client, it still commits/gets changes using my local drive working folder as the reference. From there I can get/check out/check in using my standalone Vault client.

Although working this way requires more manual work, I came across one benefit of using SSC this way: it's allowing you to commit (check-in) code AND database as a single changeset, since you're controlling everything from your source control client.

Thought I'd just put it out there.
    Marc-Andre
  • Any updates from Red Gate on when Vault 6.0 could become supported ?

Also, in the meantime, it would be good to have your product page state that this new version isn't supported. The way it's currently worded does not suggest that at all (it says "Vault 5.1 and later").

Link:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... quirements

Thanks
    Marc-Andre
  • Hmmm... well it seems things could have been much more simple if I had the following idea sooner.

I found files under
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 3\Vault
    All those DLLs are from Sourcegear and of version 5.1.1

By copying the same DLLs from my Vault 6 folder into the above folder (and overwriting the 5.1.1 DLLs with 6.0.0), and restarting SQL Source Control/SSMS, now I can link to Vault again and Get Latest/Commit works just fine.

This is a much easier way to proceed than trying to do command-line hooks or manually check out/in files with the Vault client...

Again I thought I'd share what I found in case someone else out there is in the same pain I was since upgrading to Vault 6... now pain is gone :)

Marc-Andre
  • Thanks for the work around! Much appreciated.
  • Thank you so much for posting this work around. I mistakenly upgraded Vault also, thinking it would be no big deal. Definitely a big oops on my part, but so far at least, this solution is getting me by. Hopefully a supported solution will be available soon.
  • BlueBSHBlueBSH Posts: 25 Bronze 2
    Awesome, was trying to find a workaround for this and the Library file copy worked great
  • Just a heads-up - the latest release of SQL Source Control, which is 3.1.0.4829 should introduce full support for Vault 6. It's available via the Check for Updates functionality within the tool or from our ftp site here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLS ... 0.4829.exe
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
  • Just a heads-up - the latest release of SQL Source Control, which is 3.1.0.4829 should introduce full support for Vault 6. It's available via the Check for Updates functionality within the tool or from our ftp site here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLS ... 0.4829.exe

What would "The Server edition is correct, but the version is wrong" error indicate? I have installed v3.1.0.4829 and have Vault Standard 6.0.1.598.
  • greg_burnsgreg_burns Posts: 10 Bronze 2
    greg_burns wrote:
    Just a heads-up - the latest release of SQL Source Control, which is 3.1.0.4829 should introduce full support for Vault 6. It's available via the Check for Updates functionality within the tool or from our ftp site here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLS ... 0.4829.exe

What would "The Server edition is correct, but the version is wrong" error indicate? I have installed v3.1.0.4829 and have Vault Standard 6.0.1.598.

Apparently this is only works with Vault 6.0, not 6.1. The dlls are version 6.0.0.477, not 6.0.1.598.
  • greg_burns wrote:
    Apparently this is only works with Vault 6.0, not 6.1. The dlls are version 6.0.0.477, not 6.0.1.598.

Hmmm...I'm running Vault 6.0.0.477 standard, but I'm getting that "The Server edition is correct, but the version is wrong" error too.