How do I migrate data direct from source control

bdw429sbdw429s Posts: 23
I have Googled and searched the forums and have been unable to find an answer to this question. Please let me know if the question belongs in the SQL Data Compare forum.

When performing a SQL schema compare, I can choose "source control" as the source and then I am given the options of "Direct from source control" and "scripts folder".

schema%20compare.png

However, when performing a SQL Data compare, the only option is "scripts folder".

data%20compare.png

Is there a way to compare data directly from a source control URL?

Thanks!

~Brad

Comments

• Hmm, it looks like images are broken. Unless I'm just not doing something right, we should remove the image button since it apparently doesn't work.

I also wanted to mention that I updated both schema compare and data compare to the latest version before posting here.
  • Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

The latest version of SQL Data Compare has this feature. Can you let us know which version you're using (in the Help/About box).

I'll have to check but it may be that you require SQL Source Control to be installed on the same machine as SQL Data Compare. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Thanks,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the reply, David.

I'm on SQL Data Compare 9.1.0.365. I do have SQL Source Control (3.0.13.4212) installed on the same machine.

I checked for updates on all three prior to posting.

P.S. This is the Brad Wood who was E-mailing you last week about Jenkins integration with SQL Source Control. :)
  • That explains it. You need SQL Data Compare v10 for this feature. The Check for Updates feature in the tool should point you to this.

I hadn't noticed it was you! :)

By the way, the reason we've been slow responding to this forum post is due to our alerting mechanism which looks for threads where there hasn't been a response. Because you responded to your own, it failed to alert us!

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the reply. I figured out what happened. I checked for updates and installed the latest version, but I didn't realize that the new version didn't replace the old executable, but instead created a new shortcut in my start menu. I had a short cut that I always use in my quick launch bar to run SQL Data Compare. I didn't even notice that I was still running the old version.

Now, that being said, is there a reason why the old version is left on my PC? When I upgrade software, I kind of expect that to be the only version installed.

No worries on the delay replying.
  • This is intentional behavior. Although generally each later version is a functional superset of the previous ones, there are some things that are deprecated an exmaple being SQL Server platform support. So if you need SQL Server 2000 support for example, you'll have to use v9 alongside v10.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software