Backup Source does not show 'Available backups'

BarryFSBarryFS Posts: 5
edited August 14, 2012 11:45AM in SQL Object Level Recovery Native 1
Hi,

This is my first time trying Object Level Recovery Native.
I have a compressed SQL Server backup, which I want to restore 1 table from.
The original database size is 90 GB, and the compressed backup file is 20 GB.
(The table I am restoring is tiny - less than 10 MB).
I selected the file in the Backup Source window, which took a very long time to validate, but eventually the 'tick' did appear in the OK column.
However, the 'Available Backups' section at the bottom of the same window does not show anything, and the 'OK' button is greyed-out.

Is this normal behaviour?

Should I expect a long delay between validating the backup file, and showing results in the Available Backups section?

Best Regards
Barry

Comments

• Just a quick update, it has now completed the Available Backups section - maybe I was just being impatient.

However, it is worth pointing out, as others have done in posts that I have seen, this tool seems very slow at reading / checking a backup file, prior to performing the restore operation.
  • The GUI says that it is Parsing the selected backup, and has been at 50% for at least 2 hours now.
    This whole process has been running for over 4 hours now, and I still haven't been a list of available objects in the database, to enable me to select the table I want the tool to restore.
    I had high hopes for this tool, as the option of restoring database objects is very appealing, but at this rate it would have been quicker for me to restore the whole database, copy-out the table I want, then drop the database again.

Are there plans to speed up access to the backup file(s) in future releases?
    Is this process any quicker in 'SQL Object Level Recovery Pro'?

Best Regards
    Barry
  • Unfortunately SQL Object Level Recovery is not very robust in that it begins to struggle with larger databases.

We have another product that would be better suited for larger databases when trying to recover objects from a database.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-virtual-restore/
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • Please note that the backup reader for OLR is sequential so for very large databases and object recovery this has performance impacts. We normally suggest using one of our other products (SQL virtual restore) to do this sort of object level recovery as mentioned by my colleague. Another advantage of using SVR is all the database objects are accessible after doing a virtual restore (mounting the database directly from a backup file to provide access). So you don't have to do any more recovery for additional access.

OLR should work better with smaller database backups.
  • Thanks to both of you for responding.

I eventually cancelled the restore after approximately 7 hours, as it was still parsing the selected backup.
    This means that the tool is, in effect, useless to me, as most of my live databases are 40 GB or more (which I don't think would be regarded as a 'large' database to many DBAs).

Unfortunately, I do not envisage my company purchasing Virtual Restore.
    For information, what would you recommend as a maximum size database that could be handled by OLR Native??

Is the restore time etc any quicker with OLR Pro (which I believe is part of the Backup Prod tool)?

Best Regards
    Barry
  • I dont believe the restore time will be that much quicker with OLR Pro as the only difference between OLR Pro and OLR native is that native handles native backups and Pro handles SQL Backups sqb files.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software