Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

edited August 17, 2012 5:33AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
using v 5.3.4.1 on a VM of win 7 ultimate.

when i type, i get the intellisense of stored procedures. I use the down arrow to select the procedure i want and then hit "tab". I get a "notify red gate about this error" pop up box. The error details are:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The stored procedure does not expand to the selected one. i have to type it all out by hand. sometimes the first "tab" fails but subsequent ones work (on that line only) This time, i get the error regardless of how i try to work it.

"enter" key causes the same problem too.

any ideas?

Comments

• Can you email us in your most recent log files? You can find SQL Prompt's log files in:

<sysroot>:\Users\<youruser>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 5

If you could email those in to support@red-gate.com and include the reference F0063211 in the subject line, I'll have a look over them and see if I can glean anything more about what's causing this error. Thanks!
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
  • Thanks for your email! Unfortunately, I couldn't find much useful information in the logs. I did locate the error reports you submitted in our bug-tracking system - the bug report reference is SP-3412, for future reference. We thought we'd fixed it in the release of SQL Prompt 5.1, but we've had reports from you and another user in newer versions recently.

I see from the comments you've added that you get this problem with snippets as well - is that still happening? Can I check what version of SSMS you're using?
    Andy Campbell Smith

• @version

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (X64) Apr 2 2010 15:48:46 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)

I get this error all the time. from other machine doesn't have this issue. it is a productivity killer.
  • I've emailed the devs - you appear to be the only person hitting this right now, but it's clearly a very serious issue for you, so we're doing our best to figure out what's causing this. I'll get back to you as soon as we've come up with something - sorry!
    Andy Campbell Smith

• I uninstalled sql prompt and re-installed. certain functions that always failed previously appear to be working now. other snippets appear to be working too..

i will post back a in a couple of days if everything is good.
  • the re-install seems to have fixed all my issues. thanks for your support during this time.
  • Great, glad to hear it! Let us know if you run into trouble again and we'll do our best to help.
    Andy Campbell Smith