SQL Tab Magic for SQL 2012??

adminsoftrladminsoftrl Posts: 2
edited June 17, 2013 11:17AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi All,

Is there any news on if/when a new version of SQL Tab Magic will be available to run in SQL Management Studio 2012?

I didn't realise how much I relied on it until I switch to SQL 2012 :(

Many thanks.

Comments

• I'm afraid we don't have a due date for Tab Magic in SSMS 2012 yet, but if you want to log a feature request for it on our SQL Prompt Uservoice forum ( http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/944 ... ggestions/ ), we'd really appreciate it - we use Uservoice to judge user demand for features, so we can be sure we're doing useful work on the tools. Sorry I can't be more help right now!
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Perhaps, Andy, Red Gate might consider this more of a priority due to Microsoft's abysmal decision to rid SSMS of the MDI mode.

As a user of SS2012 SSMS for months now, I absolutely loathe, hate and abhor the fact I only have 2 tabs viewable at one time and hunting the tabs with no status bar is a pain!

I'd start using Tab Magic immediately to ease the pain of a bum working environment!

And I have no votes left on Uservoice! Bummer, too...

UPDATE:
    Stole 3 votes from another good suggestion just to get this on the scoreboard.
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • adminsoftadminsoft Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I'm afraid we don't have a due date for Tab Magic in SSMS 2012 yet, but if you want to log a feature request for it on our SQL Prompt Uservoice forum ( http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/944 ... ggestions/ ), we'd really appreciate it - we use Uservoice to judge user demand for features, so we can be sure we're doing useful work on the tools. Sorry I can't be more help right now!

But Andy, if it was a 'new' feature you released recently for beta in SQL2008 may I ask why it won't work in SQL2012?
  • SQL Tab Magic was originally developed as a standalone project as an experiment. When it turned out to be popular with users, we rolled it into SQL Prompt. It was originally developed for SSMS 2008 R2, before SSMS 2012 was available to the public - with the release of SQL 2012, we've got a lot of work to update all our tools to support SSMS, and since Tab Magic was always an experimental feature it's taken a bit of a back seat.

That said, the more user demand I can show to the dev team, the more likely it is to see the light of day soon, so it's good to hear from you about this. I'll let you know as soon as there's an update.
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
    Thanks Andy, hope it gets to see the light of day in SQL2012, you don't know how much this feature is missed :(
    Believe me, I already have! :)
  • kondrichkondrich Posts: 79 Bronze 2
    +3 from my side. Not having Tab Magic available in SSMS 2012 is very annoying. As annoying as basic-only synonym support (names only, no structure of base objects).
    Regards, Klaus
  • Matt_BMatt_B Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    Is there any update on this?

It would be great to get an ETA, even if it's only rough.
    For me, I rely on Tab Magic too much, so I'm back to SSMS 2008 except when I need to work on a 2012 server.

Cheers,

Matt
  • I second that, any update or ETA on this please?
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Matt_B wrote:
    ...so I'm back to SSMS 2008 except when I need to work on a 2012 server.
    Hi Matt,
    I'm intrigued by your phrase quoted above. I have three SQL2012 boxes, 2 on "my" domain and another hosted at Rackspace on their domain, and I do everything I've needed so far with the exception of the Integration Services Catalog maintenance from a SQL2008R2 SSMS. Just wondering what it is that necessitates you jumping onto the 2012 box itself so I can be prepared for that rather than emit a long grrrrr. Cheers!
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • HeroTheCatHeroTheCat Posts: 4 Bronze 2
    It's closing on almost a year since the original request was made.

Is there an ETA, even a rough one?
  • Hi there,

An early access release of SQL Tab Magic is now available to download from http://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLTabMagic/SQLTabMagic.zip and includes the following new features and enhancements:
    - Support for SQL Server Management Studio 2012.
    - Redesign of the user interface.
    - Single dialog for searching all tabs.
    - Empty tabs are no longer included in tab history nor opened on startup.
    - Stability and performance improvements.

This is the last release of SQL Tab Magic as a standalone product. The next early access release will incorporate SQL Tab Magic in SQL Prompt which will be available in the next week or two.

We’d love to hear what you think. If you have any feedback, please leave a comment or email eapprompt@red-gate.com

We are aware of a problem whereby all tabs are reopened when you launch SQL Server Management Studio, rather than only the tabs that were open when SQL Server Management Studio was last closed. If you encounter this problem, please email eapprompt@red-gate.com

Many thanks,

Jonathan Watts
    - Red Gate
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd