profiling a web page with querystring arguments

tschlarmtschlarm Posts: 23 Bronze 2
I searched this forum and could not find any help for this issue.

I guess I'm missing something. I'm profiling an ASP.NET 4 application with the web development server (or IIS Express). I'd like to pass a query string arguments to the page (not in the root folder) I want to profile, but there doesn't seem to be a box on the 'New Profiling Session' dialog. If I append a '?arg=value' to the path the 'Start Profiling' button is greyed out.

I suspect a redirect page would work but seems needlessly silly. Launching an intermediate page that doesn't take arguments and having to modify the string in the URL bar works also seems a bit off.

Other project types have an argument box so why not web applications?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The URL box filters out anything that would normally appear in a traditional file name (ends with *.asp|*.aspx|*.htm, etc), so you cannot enter querystring values there. There is nothing to stop you, once the browser starts, to manually put the query string into the browser's address bar.
  • tschlarmtschlarm Posts: 23 Bronze 2
    True, which is what I am doing. I am only saying this is not really optimal and an argument input box would be a welcome enhancement to the dialog should someone at RG care to enter it into the bugbase.
  • Thanks for your feedback. I've added this request to our bug system, where it has internal reference PP-2259. Unfortunately, I can't promise an immediate fix but it will be considered when we are planning the next version.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • tschlarmtschlarm Posts: 23 Bronze 2
    Thanks. That's all I can ask.

Thanks for all your efforts.