Trying to install sqlbackup extended stored procedure

pchee373pchee373 Posts: 13
edited February 17, 2006 10:04PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am getting "There is already an object named sqlbackup in the database". I can't find the object in master. HELP.

Thanks

Comments

• Hello,

I would guess that you'd probably upgraded SQL Backup and need to uninstall the current stored procedure. To do this, you can use the 'install extended stored procedure' program from the SQL Backup program group to uninstall the current SQLBackup extended stored procedure and run it once more to install the newer one.

To see if SQL Backup's extended procedure is installed, you can run the following from a SQL Server connection (Query Analyzer):
    exec sp_helpextendedproc 'SQLBackup'

To manually drop an extended stored procedure, you can also use SQL Server's sp_dropextendedproc stored procedure.
  • I've tried that already. The stored procedure is not in sysobjects. There is no sign of it but I can't install extended SP
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What happens when you enter

exec master..sqlbackup ''

in Query Analyzer? Is your server case sensitive?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Good one!

If you run sp_helpextendedproc with no arguments, it will simply list all extended stored procedured on the system. Maybe you can try that and locate sqlbackup in the list?
  • If I try to run sqlbackup I get a 'MSG2812: Could Not find the Stored Procedure ' master..sqlbackup'

It's not listed in when I just run exec sp_helpextendedproc.

I'm wondering if I have to restart the SQL service maybe. it's production so I have to wait.
  • You shouldn't have to restart the server to install this and the install extended stored procedure program should put it in place for you.

I suppose if that doesn't work, you could install it manually:
    • Copy c:\program files\red gate\sql backup\xp_sqlbackup.dll in your SQL Server's BINN folder.
    • Open Query Analyzer and run sp_addextendedproc 'sqlbackup', 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    • Run sp_helpextendedproc 'sqlbackup' to make sure it's listed this time.
  • Can't do that either. It won't let me drop it saying that it doesn't exist and it won't let me add saying there's already a SP by that name. Where would this object exist? Or what table is it in? Thanks
    SELECT * FROM master..sysobjects WHERE type = 'X' ORDER BY crdate DESC
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • The sqlbackup Extended SP is NOT in the table, BUT it still says it exist so I can't install. Where can it possibly be?
    Well, there's a possibility that there is another object that goes by the same name. Try running

SELECT * FROM master..sysobjects WHERE UPPER(name) = 'SQLBACKUP'
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Tried it and nothing there either
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    How about DBCC DROPEXTENDEDPROC('sqlbackup')?

All I can think of after this is restarting the SQL Server Service. Possibly something is tied up in memory?
    Recently, there was another user who encountered the same issue. Try creating an object in the master database (table or view) and then drop it. Then try adding the extended stored procedure again.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software