Options

Set compare source to existing TFS project

foneillfoneill Posts: 4
edited September 20, 2012 10:13AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I wonder if I'm attempting the impossible...

I have an Azure solution in TFS, and the databases are also under source control there (as Database Projects). I want to use this TFS project as the source for my SQL Compare. When I attempt to use that, SQL Compare tells me "Unable to find a RedGate.ssc file at the database location specified".

It seems that I need to use Red Gate's "SQL Source Control" to create his file, but I don't want to do that - the database is already successfully under source control, and I don't want to add it a second time.

So, is there some way that SQL Compare can look at pre-existing TFS database details?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I think it should work to export all of the .sql files from TFS into a folder and tell SQL Compare to compare to source control, but then specify a scripts folder rather than a repository.

I'd like to add a warning that if the scripts were not created by SQL Compare (for instance, they were created by SSMS or "by hand"), SQL Compare may have trouble reading the files and/or ordering the objects correctly.
  • Options
    Hi,

We have a beta build that now works with VS database projects:

http://www.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLCompareEAP/SQLCompareVS

Please try this out and let us know how you get on. Feedback very welcome!

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software