Options

Compression size or Actual size?

SQL_ME_RICHSQL_ME_RICH Posts: 112
edited July 11, 2012 8:46AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I noticed just recently that if you right click on a completed backup job that is not using compression (like a Transaction Log), the 'Properties' dialog box shows the file size, and then a compressed size, but when you go out into the main window again - it shows the compressed size from the dialog box as being the 'Uncompressed Size'.

Am I reading this wrong, or is there something displaying incorrectly here?

This is in version 7.1.

Comments

• Options
    Hi

Many thanks for your feedback. The 'Compressed Size' column in the Backup Properties dialog shows the size of the backup file (whether it was compressed or uncompressed). The column label will be changed in the next version to reflect this.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • Options
    Marianne wrote:
    Hi

Many thanks for your feedback. The 'Compressed Size' column in the Backup Properties dialog shows the size of the backup file (whether it was compressed or uncompressed). The column label will be changed in the next version to reflect this.

Cheers,

Marianne

Marianne, thank you for this information, but just out of curiosity then - what is this other file size in the Properties box? Is it just an errant calc?
  • Options
    Hi,

The File Size column refers to the size of the database files (.mdf, .ndf and .ldf) on disk. We will change the column labels in the next version to make this clearer.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited