Restore to a database once it is brought online?

SQL_ME_RICHSQL_ME_RICH Posts: 112
edited July 6, 2012 10:26AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello -

Say I have a Full backup of a database. I restore the Full backup, and have a series of Differential backups done against it since the Full. Now - the Full was restored to a different server and instance on another machine, and did not have the standby or offline options specified when it was restored (it was just brought up online like you would if you wanted to just get it in place and go). No changes were made to it from the restore - it's just there for review.

Is there any way to restore the additional Differential backups to that database that were taken from it after the Full? Or is it that once it is online - that's it?

Thank you,

SQL_ME_RICH

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    once it is online - that's it?
    This.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • We do this all the time. To save processing time, resources and space for certain largish databases they create the full and then a series of differentials. We then get requested to take these backups and copy to another server and then overwrite an original DB with the full and a certain differential. You just have to remember that the full has a with NORECOVERY and the differential has with RECOVERY.

HTH

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA