Reconnecting automatically after monitoring stopped

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
edited October 16, 2012 3:44AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
The Redgate Help Doc titled "Reconnecting automatically after monitoring stopped - SQL Monitor" ( http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content/SQL_Monitor/help/3.0/SM_ReconnectAutomatically ) details the steps necessary to configure SQL Monitor to automatically attempt to reconnect when a failure to connect occurs. For us this happens ocassionally, usually when the system is down due to updates.

What the article does NOT tell you is what to do if that configuration file is NOT in the location specified in the article. The file to be edited is "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings" and according to the article its located at "C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\".

If like me you find the file is NOT in the location specified then you can find the files true location by examing another file in the same location specified in the article. If you open the file "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.config" in Notepad you will find a line detailing the actual location of the "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings" file.

Hopefully this will save someone else the time I wasted trying to do this because the article did not provide any suggestions or alternatives if the specified file is not in the location the article says it is.

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

While the configuration file "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.config" does contain the location of the configuration file "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config", it is actually located in the directory C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\BaseMonitor\ which is not the same location at all.

The directory C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\ is hidden by default on many machines, is slightly different for SQL Monitor 2 (as detailed in the document) and for pre-Win Server 2003 machines it is in the equivalent directory for that older directory structure.

However this is only not true when the user has made changes to the default install locations.

If there are any problems with making this configuration change then users should contact support@red-gate.com
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    chrisk5 wrote:
    Thanks for your post.

While the configuration file "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.config" does contain the location of the configuration file "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config", it is actually located in the directory C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\BaseMonitor\ which is not the same location at all.

The directory C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\ is hidden by default on many machines, is slightly different for SQL Monitor 2 (as detailed in the document) and for pre-Win Server 2003 machines it is in the equivalent directory for that older directory structure.

However this is only not true when the user has made changes to the default install locations.

If there are any problems with making this configuration change then users should contact support@red-gate.com

Chris,

Since I did not make any changes from the default during the install of SQL Monitor does this mean I imagined fined the file ine the location I specified ? Just trying to get clarification on the conflicting statements, the differ3ence between where I found these files and where you say they actually were.

Thanks
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Data files saved to "c:\program files" and "c:\program files (x86)" are automatically redirected to c:\programdata by Windows Vista, 2008, and Windows 7.
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    Data files saved to "c:\program files" and "c:\program files (x86)" are automatically redirected to c:\programdata by Windows Vista, 2008, and Windows 7.

Brian,

So then you are confirming my intial posts statement and confirming that the file is where I indicated and that Chris's reply was to state why the file is there instead of the location listed in the RedGate KB article and thats because Windows redirects the files to the progradata directory, correct?

Thanks
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The files won't be in c:\program files unless you are using an older version of Windows.
  • Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3
    The files won't be in c:\program files unless you are using an older version of Windows.