7.1 Cluster Failover provoked on Passive Node upgrade

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited June 28, 2012 12:59PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I just upgraded the Active Node, then the Passive Node, just as I usually do.

On the Active Node, everything went per usual:
    Update the GUI Navigate to the 32-bit Program Files and run the Service Update manually.
On the Passive Node, I followed the same process BUT at the end of the service upgrade I was presented with:
ALERT NAME: Cluster resource failed 
TIME: 6/27/2012 12:02:49 PM 
REASON: 
Cluster resource SQL Backup Agent in clustered service or application SQL Group failed.
SEVERITY: CRITICAL
Little did I know but I had just inadvertently provoked a cluster failover! EEK!

Highly unexpected. What did I do wrong? Or is there an issue with the installer on a Passive Node?
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Hi,

Many thanks for your post. I need a bit more information from you. Can you confirm that you were running SQBServerSetup.exe manually to install the server components (it sounds like it, but I just want to double check)?
    If so, were you following the instructions on installing the server components on clusters (http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/Content/SQL_Backup/help/7.1/SBU_InstallingonaSQLServerCluster) and did you disable the SQL Backup resource in Cluster Administrator before upgrading? If not, could you try following those steps?

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Yes, I was using the .exe as quoted.

No, I'd completely forgotten about disabling the cluster resource on the passive node - not overly familiar with cluster management as I'm only an accidental DBA.

Could I ask Red Gate to "Please add a dialog box so that when upgrading a SQL Backup Server component on a Passive node it reminds (forgetful/inexperienced/non-admin) users to disable the cluster resource temporarilly." This will help IMMENSELY and prevent others making the same mistake I did!

Cheers!

Stephen
    Decide wisely...
  • Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for the feedback - I'll add the feature request to our list.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • Stephen,

I have made changes to clusters many times on Windows 2003R2 and usually update the GUI on the passive side and then go to the active side and update the GUI followed by the server components without mentioning it is clustered without problems. I have never had the chance to do this on Windows 2008 or Windows 2008R2.

Was your experience on Windows 2008 or Windows 2008R2 as you didn't mention the O/S?

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Hi Chris (fellow Brit),

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.

Regards,

Stephen
    Decide wisely...
  • Good to know that there is danger lurking with newer O/S'es.

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA