SQL Backup 7.1

MarianneMarianne Posts: 55
edited June 28, 2012 7:40PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We�re pleased to announce that SQL Backup 7.1 has been released and is available to download. This is a minor release and includes new features and bug fixes.

New features
� The Jobs tab contains an additional Database column to show which databases are included in each job. For multiple databases in a job, click the information icon.
� The height of rows in the Activity History has been reduced.
� In differential or transaction log backup jobs for multiple databases, you can specify WITH FULLIFREQUIRED to take a full backup of any databases which require one before a differential or transaction log backup can be taken. This option is not available from the backup wizards. See The BACKUP Command for more information: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... BACKUP_cmd

Bugs fixed in 7.1
� SB-4579 and SB-4714 - Enhancement requests relating to WITH FULLIFREQUIRED. See above.
� SB-4717 - Consistent warnings and errors are returned in all cases where a backup file name is generated from the <DATABASE> or <AUTO> tags and the database name includes an invalid character.
� SB-4968 and SB-5183 - The character limit for extended stored procedure commands has been increased to 1048378 characters.
� SB-5122 - When creation of a scheduled backup job fails, the Jobs tab is opened.
� SB-5169 - File and folder browsers include SQL authentication warning message.
� SB-5173 and SB-5184 - Error 821 is returned when DBCC CHECKDB fails after restoring log backups.
� SB-5191 - RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY can be performed while the backup file is in use.
� SB-5193 - When creating differential backups of all or system databases, SQL Backup no longer reports that a differential backup of the master database has been created.
� SB-5214 - Error 515 is returned if the <AUTO> tag does not include <DATABASE> or <DATETIME> when backing up multiple databases.
� SB-5224 - Error 480 displays the invalid path entered by the user when the <AUTO> tag is used.
� SB-5225 - Using the .NET 4 client profile no longer causes a crash.
� SB-5248 - Email notifications now support encrypted SMTP passwords.
� SB-5181 � When creating a scheduled backup job using the Exclude these option to select databases, reminders are created for the databases currently included in the job.

SQL Backup 7.1 is a free upgrade from version 7.0. To upgrade, from the Help menu select Check for Updates or download a trial from the SQL Backup page (https://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-backup/download) and use your serial number to activate.

User interface version: 7.1.0.214 (to check the version number, from the Help menu select About SQL Backup).
Server components version: 7.1.0.72 (to check the version number, from the Edit menu select Properties).
Marianne Crowder
Red Gate Software Limited

Comments

• The download in the Upgrade Centre says 7.10.214 but it is 7.0.6.2.

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • Hi Chris,

Could you try upgrading again? Version 7.1 should be available now.

Thanks,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • Sorry. It still shows 7.0.6.2 from the upgrade centre in the SQLBackupAndRestoreBundle.zip file I downloaded.

I actaully got the new version from downloading using the Check for Updates in the SQL Backup GUI.

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It should be sorted out soon.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • Unfortunately there was a minor issue with our release process yesterday. This has been fixed and the Backup and Restore Bundle now includes SQL Backup 7.1.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • I can confirm that it is correct now.

Thanks

Chris
  • Just another question on 7.1.

In the GUI/Help/About it says 7.1.0.214. Yet in Edit/properties it says 7.1.0.72 for the version.

So what am I running. I got this from Check for Updates/Download.

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

The version number in the About box refers to the version of the user interface, whereas the version number in the Server Properties dialog refers to the version of the server components.

I'll update the announcement to reflect this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • Marianne,

Botht GUI (SQL Backup version) and the engine (Service application version) show 7.1.0.72. Am I running 7.1.0.214 or 7.1.0.72?

Thanks

Chris
  • If I am running an expired version of the SQL Backup tool on my local workstation, and I update my servers copies of SQL Backup to 7.1, am I going to have any issues managing/seeing/monitoring from my older, expired version of my workstationi console? I'm running either 7.0.5.1 or 7.0.6.2.
  • If I am running an expired version of the SQL Backup tool on my local workstation, and I update my servers copies of SQL Backup to 7.1, am I going to have any issues managing/seeing/monitoring from my older, expired version of my workstationi console? I'm running either 7.0.5.1 or 7.0.6.2.

Hi,

I'm afraid we cannot guarantee forwards-compatibility of the user interface. We support backwards-compatibility, meaning that you can run a later version of the UI with an older version of the server components, but not the other way around.

Are you having any problems upgrading the UI to 7.1?

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • Botht GUI (SQL Backup version) and the engine (Service application version) show 7.1.0.72. Am I running 7.1.0.214 or 7.1.0.72?

Hi Chris,

The About dialog (accessed from the user interface Help menu) gives the user interface version. The latest version of the UI is 7.1.0.214.

The Properties dialog (accessed from the user interface Edit menu, Properties option) gives the server components version. The server components are in two halves, listed as 'SQL Backup version' and 'Service application version', but should always be the same as each other. The latest version of the server components is 7.1.0.72.

From your previous post, I believe you're running version 7.1.0.214 of the user interface and version 7.1.0.72 of the server components.

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • Good to know that I am using the right version.

As a note. Prior to v 7 I have never seen the About version different from at least the SQL Backup version but I do have a difference between SQL Backup version and Service Application version as I run 6.5.2.9 on 6.5.1.9. currently.

Thanks

Chris
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    If I am running an expired version of the SQL Backup tool on my local workstation, and I update my servers copies of SQL Backup to 7.1, am I going to have any issues managing/seeing/monitoring from my older, expired version of my workstationi console? I'm running either 7.0.5.1 or 7.0.6.2.

According to James Billings (Red Gate):
    The GUI (the front end you interact with) can be installed anywhere you want (be it on each server, on your own PC, or somewhere else) and doesn't need to be licensed, so if you have, say, 10 DBA's they can all run the GUI on their own PC.
    (See http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=15106&highlight=cluster), so you should upgrade the UI immediately without issue...
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • PDinCA wrote:
    According to James Billings (Red Gate):
    The GUI (the front end you interact with) can be installed anywhere you want (be it on each server, on your own PC, or somewhere else) and doesn't need to be licensed, so if you have, say, 10 DBA's they can all run the GUI on their own PC.
    (See http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=15106&highlight=cluster), so you should upgrade the UI immediately without issue...

Yeah - I probably confused the issue by describing my workstation console app as being expired (I only use it to see my other servers with licensed Red Gate copies on them).

My concerns are whether or not to upgrade the servers to 7.1, because there is not way that I see to update to 7.1 on my workstation (unless I can simply pull the directory from one of my servers, after I update them, and use it that way).

Is that possible?
  • Marianne wrote:
    Hi,

I'm afraid we cannot guarantee forwards-compatibility of the user interface. We support backwards-compatibility, meaning that you can run a later version of the UI with an older version of the server components, but not the other way around.

Are you having any problems upgrading the UI to 7.1?

Cheers,

Marianne

Hi Marianne - another user brought up a good point, in that I should be able to run the app from my workstation (even if it is expired - and really that wasn't the point - sorry for the confusion on that). I guess what I need to know is if I uninstall my current copy of Backup 7, update my servers that are currently licensed to 7.1, and then pull one of their folders over to my workstation, will that work?
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Yeah - I probably confused the issue by describing my workstation console app as being expired (I only use it to see my other servers with licensed Red Gate copies on them).

My concerns are whether or not to upgrade the servers to 7.1, because there is not way that I see to update to 7.1 on my workstation (unless I can simply pull the directory from one of my servers, after I update them, and use it that way).

Is that possible?
    I'll certainly defer to Marianne, being employed by the experts, but when you update the GUI, using Help ==> Check for Updates, and update it, it checks each registered server for the server components and tells you that there's an update available for that server. For stand-alone boxes (non-clustered) I usually update them using the GUI from a central server on the same domain, but for clusters you have to ship the server update file to each node and apply it manually.

Hope this helps.

BTW: I just had an issue upgrading the passive node to 7.1 and provoked a cluster failover! This is because the installer tried to bring the SQL Backup service online as a cluster resource on the PASSIVE Node - faux pas! I hope to have an answer on this issue soon, so you may want to watch it if you have clustered servers. Up to 7.1 I've never had an issue upgrading a passive node, so please beware.
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Hi

I'm not entirely clear on what you want to achieve. It sounds like you're running the UI on your desktop machine and the server components installed on it are no longer licensed, but you have installed server components on other machines and these have valid licenses. Is that right?

You can use the UI where you want - it is not licensed. You can add SQL Servers to the Registered SQL Servers pane on the left of the timeline so that you can manage your SQL Servers from your desktop machine (from the File menu select Add SQL Server. See http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content/SQL_Backup/help/7.1/SBU_RegisterServers for more details). You need to install the SQL Backup server components on each server and activate the server components with a license key. If the license has expired for a server, you will not be able to perform backup and restore operations on that server (an icon is displayed to indicate this). But the fact that the license has expired on the local server does not mean that you cannot connect to other SQL Servers from the UI and use SQL Backup to perform backup and restore operations on them.

As PDinCA described, if you upgrade the UI to 7.1 (either by using Check for Updates, or by downloading from the website), a cog icon will appear next to each server that you have added to the Registered SQL Servers pane on the left of the timeline to indicate that the version of the server components does not match the UI. If you click the cog icon (or select a Server then select Install or upgrade server components from the Actions menu), you can upgrade the SQL Backup server components on that server. You do not have to upgrade the server components - the UI is backwards compatible, but some features may not be available (these will be indicated in the relevant wizards). See http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content/SQL_Backup/help/7.1/SBU_InstallingonaSQLServerinstance There is no need to pull folders to your desktop machine.

Alternatively, you can upgrade the server components manually by running SQBServerSetup.exe on the relevant servers (SQBServerSetup.exe is copied to the installation folder when you install/upgrade the UI. By default this is %Program Files%\Red Gate\SQL Backup 7 or %Program Files (x86)%\Red Gate\SQL Backup 7.) This is recommended for clustered installations.

If you want to upgrade the server components without upgrading the UI, you can still add the servers to the UI and manage them from there. However, note that this is not recommended as we do not support forward-compatibility of the UI.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
  • Thanks Marianne - I got it resolved.

SQL_ME_RICH