Using Sql Server with Smart Assembly

memeDevelopermemeDeveloper Posts: 21
edited July 3, 2012 11:28AM in SmartAssembly
Hi,

I am trying to use SQL server with Smart Assembly. In Tools>Options I am specifying the DatabaseName\InstanceName but I am getting "Could not connect to the SQL Server" error message. I am using Windows authentication and I able to see the DatabaseName\InstanceName in SQL Management Studio. Still I am not able to connect to it. Is there any other setting that should be done manually ?

Thanks

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thank you for your post. Are you able to see any useful information in the SQL Server error logs? Also, can I check--are you checking SQL Management Studio from the same machine?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Yes, I am checkin in management studio from the same machine. I was able to make it work by only giving the Database name in the Smart Assembly options screen and then I went to the SmartAssembly.settings file , and added database/instanceName in the Database element manually. and Smart Assembly picked it up and stopped showing that error. However, I am concerned now if it is working fine, I don't see any tables created in the database instance of smart assembly, is something supposed to be created there. I mean tables that holds the data just like the default .mdb file.

Thanks
    I believe there should be some tables there. Can I ask--what version of SQL Server are you using?

• SQL Server 2008, does smart assembly create the tables automatically once I link it to the correct sql database ? What tables should I be seeing can you give me some names so that I can check that? I only see system tables, system view and all other system stuff , nothing SA related.
    Hello,

Yes, it should have automatically created the tables.. some tables you should see are dbo.Builds, dbo.ExceptionReports, and dbo.FeatureReports amongst others.

Can you check if the tables were created in Databases/System Databases/master/Tables?

• I just noticed that Smart Assembly created its own instance in the database and it is not using the instance we specifically created for it! It created an instance called SmartAssembly. Did this happen because we specified the database name only with no instance. How can we specify our instance without getting the error "Could not connect to SQL server". Now in options if I use the instance name created automatically by smart assembly I still get the same error message?
    Ah, I see. You will only need to specify your computer name and SQL server instance name in Options, rather than including the actual database name. SmartAssembly will then automatically create the SmartAssembly database in the specified SQL server instance. The string you enter in options should look like computername\SQLserverInstanceName, for example: "(local)\SQLExpress".

• Thanks for the reply. Actually this is what I am tried , by database name I mean the SQL Server Name which I think what you mean by Computer Name. So I tried it like this SQL_Server_Name\Instance_Name and this gives the same error. I am using SQL Server 2008 and windows authentication. Do I have to set anything else manually in SmartAssembly.settings ?
    No worries. It should actually be the computerName\SQLserverInstanceName. If you right click on "Computer" (from the start button), and choose properties., you should be able to find your computer name there.

The string you enter in Options is essentially the same as what you enter in SSMS for "Server name" to connect to your SQL server.

• Hi Jessica,

I am doing what you are saying but still I am getting the same error. The name I used is the one that what I enter in SSMS for "Server name" to connect to the SQL server (which is also the computer name). Then I give the instance name. Still I am getting that error.
    UPDATE:

Just to clarify--when using a SQL database to store reports, you'll need to enter in your computerName\SQLserverInstance into Options>ReportsDatabaseOptions in SmartAssembly. This string is the same as what you enter to connect to your SQL server in SSMS. You won't need to worry about creating your own database or tables in the SQL server. SmartAssembly will automatically do this! :)