Add new screen in SQL Packager installer

JackLockeJackLocke Posts: 25
edited June 22, 2012 11:19AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hi All,
I really doubt that it is possible but I am really interested to find answer ... is it possible to add our own screen (or say setup step) in C# project created by SQL Packager ?

Thanks,
Jack

Comments

• Yes you can.

The C# project template is provided by Red Gate as the default structure for a SQL package. The SQL Packager tool will retrieve the project located in the '\Red Gate SQL Bundle\SQL Packager Code Templates\C#' directory and it will use it to create a package executable or a C# project. The C# project generated by SQL Packager will have the source code from the C# templates plus resource files that will store the SQL script. The customer can customize the C# template project, so it can include the company logo, company information, etc. There is complete freedom to modify the C# project template. The customer can also take the C# project generated by SQL Packager and take the resource files that store the SQL script plus the necessary code needed to read the script and integrate it in a bigger C# project. In doing that the customer can merge the SQL package code in their own installer executable.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • Yes you can.

The C# project template is provided by Red Gate as the default structure for a SQL package. The SQL Packager tool will retrieve the project located in the '\Red Gate SQL Bundle\SQL Packager Code Templates\C#' directory and it will use it to create a package executable or a C# project. The C# project generated by SQL Packager will have the source code from the C# templates plus resource files that will store the SQL script. The customer can customize the C# template project, so it can include the company logo, company information, etc. There is complete freedom to modify the C# project template. The customer can also take the C# project generated by SQL Packager and take the resource files that store the SQL script plus the necessary code needed to read the script and integrate it in a bigger C# project. In doing that the customer can merge the SQL package code in their own installer executable.

I was able to add company info and other stuff in existing pages. In our case we don't want to do anything fancy with installer. We just wanted to add EULA before "Run Package" screen. So when users run exe, they first see EULA and then run package screen.

Does RedGate has any tutorial available for adding screen SQL Packager ?

On other thought I was thinking to integrate packager with our existing installer and call it using CLI. But I have issues with it too. I have already posted a question about that too in another post http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=15377 but still waiting for any reply :(

Thanks,
    Jack
  • Unfortunately we do not have any examples of what you wish to accomplish.

If you wants an EULA then you can simply create a new form with the Accept/Decline or whatever, and display it modally with ShowDialog() in the Load() event of the template one - then it'll pop up before the user can do anything else.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • Unfortunately we do not have any examples of what you wish to accomplish.

If you wants an EULA then you can simply create a new form with the Accept/Decline or whatever, and display it modally with ShowDialog() in the Load() event of the template one - then it'll pop up before the user can do anything else.

Actually, after some snooping around application code I was able to include simple EULA form.

Thanks for reply.

Jack