Options

Share SVN repository between SQL Source Control & SQLConnect

The product description for SQLConnect at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... cts-a-page says that SQL Connect projects can share the same repository as databases connected to SQL Source Control. I found one posting at http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/140 ... ql-connect asking How to link SQL Source Control to SQL Connect. The answers were a bit vague, not to mention tedious, but probably adequate to answer the question.

My question though is for going the opposite direction. I have a VS 2010 solution with 2 SQLConnect projects. The VS solution and both projects are under source control using an SVN server. Now I want to use SQL Source Control in SSMS with the same databases and if possible, the same SVN repository. It would be helpful to have step-by-step documentation as to how I can have both a SQL Source Control project (in SSMS) and a SQL Connect project (in VS) share a SVN repository and the local scripts folders.

Although I only need it in one direction, Ideally this documentation would show how to set it up with either the SQL Source Control project or the SQL Connect project existing first and describing how to create the other one. If such documentation already exists, can someone point me at it, or if not, can someone please publish it for everyone?

Comments

• Options
    In SSMS, select a database that you'd like to link to source control (or create a brand new one), go to the SQL Source Control Setup tab, select "Link database to source control", pick Subversion, and in the "Database repository URL" textfield, paste the repository location where the database scripts are stored when you checked in your Visual Studio SQL Connect project. Then select "dedicated model", click 'Link' and you're done.

Let us know how you get on!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    OK. That was so easy that I'm almost embarrassed to have posted the question, but since it was the first time I'd tried SQL Source Control, I figured it was worth admitting my ignorance so as not to mess up the SQLConnect project.

I (almost) successfully linked the database to the SVN repository. There was an odd error that occurred in the process. The error message said something like "source control has changed something that it shouldn't have". I submitted the error message to Red-Gate and it hasn't come back.

I do have a problem with a FileTable comparing differently in SQLConnect, SQLCompare and SQL Source Control, but that's unrelated to the original issue so I'll post it separately.

Thanks for responding to this question so quickly.