Centralize database that contains every Column Name and Desc

WindmillWindmill Posts: 4
edited June 19, 2012 6:41AM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Is there a desire for a centalized table or database that contains every Column name and description so that I can apply the same identical description to all Columns across all tables that are identical.

For example we have many tables with the Column Name "AccountKey" that we only want to document once, and so when that Column Name is used in all tables it has the same description.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Windmill

Unfortunately to my knowledge you are the only customer who is requesting such a feature for SQL Doc.

Sadly, I cannot submit a feature request on your behalf at this time due to a permissions error to the SQL Doc Feature Request system. Once I can obtain the required permissions, I will submit a feature request for you.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks for the reply. I was taking a long shot.

The issue that we are wrestling with and you may know the answer is that we use the same name (e.g. AccountKey) and we want to be able to maintail a central database so that the description is identicial across all talbes when the Column name is "AccountKey". Andy ideas?

Thanks again.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your patience.

I have submitted a feature request for SQL Doc to be able to hold a centralized information of common object names and their descriptions. The feature request reference is SDOC-1485.

Please be aware that I cannot guarantee that the feature request submitted will be successful. Or if approval is given, what future version of SQL Doc you will see the feature appear.

This forum post will be updated when further information is received.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com