error RA000 with obfuscated Assembly

dan.lee.RIdan.lee.RI Posts: 15
edited May 31, 2012 4:49PM in SmartAssembly
When I attempt to register an assembly using regasm I get the following error:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazing Charts>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\regasm Comclasses.dll /tlb: Comclasses.tlb
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility 4.0.30319.1
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2004.  All rights reserved.

Types registered successfully
RegAsm : error RA0000 : Type library exporter encountered an error while processing ..?, COMclasses'. Error: Ambiguous name.

Registering the non-obfuscated file works successfully without any errors. I am not sure what to begin to look for in the smart assembly settings to help resolve this issue.

This has worked in the past under Smart Assembly 4 and I have recently upgraded to Smart Assembly 6. The settings in SA6 project file appear to be the same as SA4.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Daniel Lee
Release Engineer
Amazing Charts,Inc

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Dan,

Could you please try unregistering, rebooting, and then re-registering?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• No, unregistering and restarting, and registering again does not correct the issue.

If I just register without the /tlb switch there are no errors. So it is a problem in creating the type library.

Note that this is an installation deployment so having our users go through this process is definately not a solution :)

Thanks.
    Daniel Lee
    Release Engineer
    Amazing Charts,Inc
  • I have some more information.

This started failing when we converted our project to .NET 4.0. We have a project with Smart Assembly 6.0 and .NET 3.5 where the obfuscation and assembly registration is working correctly. However, none of our projects that we converted to .NET 4.0 work correctly.

Is there something we need to do differently for .NET 4.0 and Smart Assembly?

For now I am just skipping the smart assembly step of the build process just to get builds to QA for testing. But this is definately something I need to work on. Let me know if I need to open a formal ticket.
    Daniel Lee
    Release Engineer
    Amazing Charts,Inc
    Hi Dan!

Thanks for that information.

SmartAssembly supports applications based on .NET 4.0 so it should work alright--there isn't anything you'd have to do differently than with NET 3.5.

There is a similar error to yours posted about on a forum here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-I ... 00d476d19d

Although unsuccessful for him, it may be worth it to try the same steps he did (i.e. using the GUID numbers to check for and delete any duplicates)

• You do realize that these installations are being tested on completely clean operating systems right? No other software other than the operating system is installed and Microsoft Security Essentials. We have multiple assemblies failing.

However, I will give this a go to see if any of our GUIDS in the .NET 4.0 assemblies are different from the .NET 3.5 for some reason, although I cannot imagine why they would be.
    Daniel Lee
    Release Engineer
    Amazing Charts,Inc
    Hi Dan,

I've now found a situation similar to yours in our database and it seems possible that the issues you are experiencing are caused by the re-architecture in newer versions of SmartAssembly.

I'm guessing you upgraded to the newest release of version 6 of the tool (v. 6.7) ? I believe Smartassembly v6.2 may work better for you. If you wish, you can download it from here: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/G ... d_versions

• Jessica,

Yes, we are using 6.6 and have upgraded all the way from 4.##

I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
    Daniel Lee
    Release Engineer
    Amazing Charts,Inc