No "Prompt" Behavior

RobertSRuderRobertSRuder Posts: 2
edited May 16, 2012 5:54AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I've been running the SQL Toolbelt since March and had been having no problems with anything I tried.

Then, about 3 weeks ago, I was reading a book about Query Optimization and decided to try looking at some query plans. I set the "Include Actual Execution Plan" setting in SSMS and then started running queries. I got an error message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." instead of a query plan.

I kept tinkering trying to understand what could be interfering by pointing to various databases, server and even running SSMS on another machine. Only my workstation generates the error. Then I realized that I was not getting any prompts either. I thought maybe I had messed up a cache or something so I went to the SQL Prompt menu and "Refresh Suggestions" is grayed out. Nothing I can think of will activate it...

I just updated SQL Prompt 5 to the latest version reslease and still I have no refresh option. So, are my problems related? Is there another step I can take to get SQL Prompt5 to go back to normal behavior? Looking for some tips and guidance.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    SQL Prompt only works in SSMS query windows - it captures the keystrokes and prompts based on the text around the cursor. So I doubt the problem with execution plans is related to Prompt...

First thing I would try would be to reset the add-in:
    SSMS 2005: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\sqlwb.exe” /setup
    SSMS 2008: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\ssms.exe” /setup
    SSMS 2012: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\ssms.exe” /setup