Options

SQL Agent Not Running - Failed 1060

jctervjcterv Posts: 3
edited May 15, 2012 2:19PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have a new box running SQL 2005 Express on Windows 2003 R2.

My SQL server is running as Network Service. I had to manually run SQBServerSetup.exe which installs and starts. But when I'm looking on the job's tab it says the SQL Agent is not running. My backups don't appear to be working.

Should I create a local user for SQL Agent to run as? Then how do I make sure the local user can pass an auth to Network Service.

Comments

• Options
    I am the support engineer that is investigating the issue you have raised.

Since you are using the express edition of SQL Server there will be an issue with the SQL Server Agent service.

The issue you are mentioned is documented in the following url:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... 0708000144

If possible please use the suggestions in this url and let me know if this fixes the issue.

Thanks for your patience and feedback in this matter.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your post into the SQL Backup 6 forum.

For what ever reason, Microsoft removed the SQL Agent from SQL Server Express Edition, hence why the SQL Backup GUI is indicating that the SQL Agent is not running.

Unfortunately SQL Backup does not detect that you have installed the SQL Backup Server components on a SQL Instance using the Express Edition. So the application allows you to create or run the Scheduled Backup Job wizard but in reality no job is created.

To workaround this problem, you need to use the SQL Backup Command Line and create batch files with the necessary parameters and keywords. Once you have created a batch file, use the Windows scheduler to to start the batch file .

An example batch file is as follows:
    @echo off
    "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\SQLEXP\SQLBackupC.exe" -E -I SQLEXP -SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [AdventureWorks] TO DISK = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\MSSQL\Backup\<AUTO>.sqb' WITH DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 30, DISKRETRYCOUNT = 10, THREADCOUNT = 2"

Further information can be found HERE under the Learning SQL Backup section ->Scripting SQL Backup section.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Awesome.. This worked right away.. THANK YOU!