Intermittent Connection Failure

WrenWren Posts: 4
edited May 15, 2012 9:29AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hello, I have only just installed SQL monitor in our place so I am still learning it. I have just set up a number of machines each with a number of instances on it, but one particular is giving me some problems.

The connection is intermittent with the following error...
Bad Data InvalidDataException column procc.cpu has negative value, but negative values are not allowed.

I am not sure where this data is, has anybody else has this message before? I am monitoring one other instance on the same machine and this is ticking over with no errors. I am monitoring SQL 2005 R2 RTM.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards,
W.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

No doubt your performance counters on one of the SQL Servers have bad data in them, as you can't have "negative" CPU usage. I have no idea what could have caused this - maybe it's some virtual machine issue?

You can try going to the SQL Server computer and rebuilding the default Windows counters using LODCTR.exe /R.
  • Hello Brian,

I tried the lodctr.exe /r which said it ran successfully, but it is still disconnecting, I now have an error that says alot of the perfmon data is missing objects, namely all the SQL ones. How can I get these back?

Regards,
    W.
    To rebuild SQL performance counters, use lodctr.exe with the performance counter ini files shipped in SQL Server. Here are some instructions for doing that: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/john_daskalakis ... 93110.aspx
  • Hello Brian,

Just to help others I thought I'd finish off the thread, this did solve my issue, but I did not have to go the extra step to replace the SQL counters, the server had to be restarted (for other reasons) and the SQL counters got re-registered automatically as a result of the restart. SQL Monitor is now connected and monitoring the instance nicely.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    W.
    Wonderful! I'm happy to have helped.