SQL Compare 10 hangs after pressing Deployment Wizard button

atedwatedw Posts: 4
edited May 17, 2012 12:16AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I have tried a number of times to generate a deployment script with SQL Compare 10.1. The issue first occurred when I was using Remote Desktop, so I first thought it was related to that. However, after a number of attempts, saving the project file, starting from within SSMS, uninstalling and reinstalling, I still cannot generate a deployment script.

I can get all the way to where I press the Deployment Wizard button, at which point it hangs (Not Responding). I wonder if there is a dialog box hidden off the screen, because that's sort of how it behaves, like its waiting for input.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?


  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,720 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

    A support call has been created for you, the call reference number is F0059624.

    Can you please enable the SQL Compare GUI logging? Right click the SQL Compare icon in the very top left hand corner of the GUI immediately above the file menu. ->Change the minimum logging level to verbose ->Recreate the error symptoms ->Repeating the right click the SQL Compare icon in the very top left hand corner of the GUI ->Locate the current log file.

    Send an e-mail to [email protected] with the above call reference number in the subject field of the e-mail and attach a copy of the log file to the e-mail.

    Hopefully the log file will provide some information as to why you are experiencing the reported problem.

    Many Thanks
    Eddie Davis
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: [email protected]
  • I will do this first thing Monday
  • Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this...

    I tried to enable logging with SQL Compare, but really didn't capture anything of use. However, I believe I may have discovered how this is triggered.

    I think I have determined that this problem occurs as a result of a particular chain of events from the interaction of three (3) of the apps in the SQL Toolbelt. We use the latest version of all the apps in the suite of tools. In addition, I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 on the Windows 7 Enterprise PC at my office, and I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my home PC. We are using SVN at the office for our source control repository.

    It all seems to start after I commit some code changes using SQL Source Control during a Windows 7 remote desktop session from my home PC to my office PC (over a VPN of course). This sometimes results in a "corrupted" entry in SVN which manifests after as an error during reading of the SVN entry when making a Migration Script: "Should have two revision for an edit - Expected 2 actual 1." Note: I can actually make a migration script at this point, using the SQL Source Control tool.

    However, once there is a "corrupted" entry like that in the SVN tree, any SQL Compares between a DB under source control and one that is not, and that would reference that bad entry from the Source Tree, result in SQL Compare hanging during the generation of the migration script.

    I really hope this helps resolve this issue, because as much as I love these tools, this problem has almost rendered SQL Compare unusable for me.
Sign In or Register to comment.