DP error - A problem Occurred whilst loading your project

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
edited April 17, 2012 2:01PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
CURRENT VERSION: 2.70.1.6 (Just downloaded and installed yesterday)

After installing the latest update to DT I get the following error when trying to load the last project I worked on. Everything between the lines is the text of the error message. The error message consist of a single circular icon with a white letter X on a red background and consists of a "OK" button only.

A Problem occurred whilst loading your project:

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

In addition to not being able to load this project DT is unable to find any of the prior projects I worked on. The most recent DT project is not the only project, just the most recent. Is there some issue when you update DT from 2.X to 2.Y???

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

I wasn't aware that upgrading would break the old project files, so I'm sorry this is happening.

Are you able to recreate the project in the new version? Has this happened to all your existing projects?
    Chris
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    Thanks for your post.

I wasn't aware that upgrading would break the old project files, so I'm sorry this is happening.

Are you able to recreate the project in the new version? Has this happened to all your existing projects?

Chris,

I haven't had time to do this yet because the process is very lengthy. That is the time it takes to set up the Dependency Tracker project I had is rather long due to the number of objects involved.

You see my database has 2,136 USER Tables, 716 Stored Procedures and 285 UDF's. That means it takes any Red-Gate product that searches thru DB Objects like Dependency tracker or SQL Prompt which is even slower because of this, a long time to complete a task and hand control of the app back to the user. When using Dependency tracker it takes a while to create a project and so it really stinks when you find out after the fact that anything you did in a prior verison is not just unusable in the current version but is gone period.

I hope the next DT upgrade takes into account some option for iusers to not loose the stuff they did on the prior version. This kind of bug can be very discouraging to a user when it comes time to upgrade.
  • Thanks for your reply.

Since I last posted to this thread, I've seen a similar issue with SQL Compare, which is the engine SQL Dependency tracker uses to read the schema.

It seems to happen if you have an unexpected null value for some extended properties. The older SQL Compare engine didn't seem to be so fussy.

Can you run the following query and see if anything is returned:
    SELECT major_id, minor_id, t.name AS [Table Name], c.name AS [Column Name], value AS [Extended Property]
    FROM sys.extended_properties AS ep
    INNER JOIN sys.tables AS t ON ep.major_id = t.object_id 
    INNER JOIN sys.columns AS c ON ep.major_id = c.object_id AND ep.minor_id = c.column_id
    WHERE value IS null;
    GO

Chris
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    Chris,

I tried the query out and got 0 rows back.

Thanks