Profiling session timed out for Profiling via command line

Hi,

i have created a simple website with default page and created project file using Profiler UI. I am getting Timeout error when i use the following command.

Profile.exe /p:"C:\TestPro
file\Site.app7" /xml:"c:\TestProfile\results.xml" /data:"c:\TestProfile\resul
ts.app7results"

ANTS Performance Profiler Command Line Utility V7.0.1.16
==============================================================================
Copyright c Red Gate Software Ltd 2010-2012

== Initialising profiler

log4net:WARN XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Unable to set property [securityContext]
on object [log4net.Appender.FileAppender] using value [log4net.Util.NullSecurity
Context.Instance] (with acceptable conversion types)
Using the settings from the project file 'C:\TestProfile\Site.app7'
Preparing session
Starting IIS Profiling Host
Initializing ...
Stopping W3SVC ...
Restarting W3SVC ...
Profiling session has timed out
Stopping W3SVC ...
Restarting W3SVC ...
The target application(s) produced no profiling results

Thanks,
Rajesh

Comments

• dene.boultondene.boulton Posts: 42 Bronze 1
    Hello Rajesh,

I work on the profilers, I have raised this and we will look into it for you.
    Dene Boulton
    Red Gate
  • dene.boultondene.boulton Posts: 42 Bronze 1
    Hello Rajesh,

Did you browse to your Web Application after starting to profile the project from the command line?
    If the application isn't browsed to / requested from, then no managed code will of been executed.

Please run the command line project again, then browse to your web-app that is deployed to IIS,;you should then see the "Attached to 'w3wp.exe' (process id)" message in the command prompt.
    Dene Boulton
    Red Gate
  • Thanks for the reply

No browser window gets opened when i run the Profile.exe /p:"C:\TestPro
    ts.app7results" from the command prompt.

It just shows the below message in the command prompt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:14 am Post subject: Profiling session timed out for Profiling via command line
    Hi,

i have created a simple website with default page and created project file using Profiler UI. I am getting Timeout error when i use the following command.

Profile.exe /p:"C:\TestPro
    ts.app7results"

ANTS Performance Profiler Command Line Utility V7.0.1.16
    ==============================================================================
    Copyright c Red Gate Software Ltd 2010-2012

== Initialising profiler

log4net:WARN XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Unable to set property [securityContext]
    on object [log4net.Appender.FileAppender] using value [log4net.Util.NullSecurity
    Context.Instance] (with acceptable conversion types)
    Using the settings from the project file 'C:\TestProfile\Site.app7'
    Preparing session
    Starting IIS Profiling Host
    Initializing ...
    Stopping W3SVC ...
    Restarting W3SVC ...
    Profiling session has timed out
    Stopping W3SVC ...
    Restarting W3SVC ...
    The target application(s) produced no profiling results

Thanks,
    Rajesh
  • I think i got it...

when i use exe instead of webapp then using the respective command from the command line it actually opens up the exe file so that i can run it and when i close it then it generate the profiler result

I was thinking it will be similar process for webapp but it is not. I think i need to run the command and then try to open the site manually in the new browser after "Restarting W3SVC ..." message. Then it does profile the app but i think this is not the purpose of command line API if we need to open the site manually. OR is it require to open the site manually?

Am i missing something in this scenario?

Thanks,
    Rajesh
  • Hello Rajesh,

The command line profiler workflow is different than when profiling using the UI; a browser window is not automatically opened for you as the typical use-case is where the command line profiler is integrated into a build system or something similar - where a browser window would not be needed.

If you are manually running the profiler with the proj file for IIS then you will need to initiate some interaction with the application; opening a browser and browsing to your local site (or using the 'browse to...' option from the IIS manager UI), or say if the app is a service then a client to make a request to that service. Basically some request is made to the web-app, then the command line profiler will attach and record data for your interactions.

In a continuous deployment scenario then you would have some code/script/client to make requests to the web-app after you have started to profile the project file.

I hope that explains the workflow better, please let me know how you get on.
    Dene Boulton
    Red Gate