Save projects

asentellasentell Posts: 42
edited April 6, 2012 5:54PM in SQL Multi Script
I know you've heard this a million times already, but the next version of SQL Multi Script has just got to include the ability to save projects. This would make our code installs much less confusing.

I'd also like to see you include folders in the Scripts to Execute pane to better organize the scripts and to be able to import a folder structure from an existing location into this pane.

Thanks for a great product. I look forward to it being even better!

Aaron

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for your comments. We have had many requests for being able to organize scripts and their execution order into project files that can be re-used as you probably have guessed.

The enhancement request is logged in our system as SE-65.
  • Just wanted to give this thread a bump. I (and apparently many others) would find Multi-Script to be MUCH more useful if you added the ability to save projects.

I've been using a super clunky workaround by manually making copies of the project.sms file in the "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Multi Script" and then making sure the project I want to load is named project.sms.

Seems like this would be a fairly simple feature to enable, I know that it would help me a LOT.
  • Sadly, without this functionality, I know my organization will not purchase this product.

This is too bad, because, other than the inability to save the projects, this has demoed well and much of the functionality we like.

Beyond saving the .sql files names in a respository (as a project), it would really be great if it also would save the content of the files it finds at time of import into a repository of its own, and then have the ability to compare the repository against the source directory for changes....

Then it would become the dream tool for me...

Sven Hansen
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi multi script users,

I have added the ability to import and export SQL scripts to Multi Script list manager, if you want to give it a go.

http://labs.red-gate.com/index.php/Mult ... st_manager
  • All,

I know that this has been asked a bunch, but I have created a tool in VBA which allows you to send in an ordered list of SQL Scripts and it will save out that file and lanuch Multiscript. I was able to reverse engineer the XML that MultiScript uses to generate and ordered list. From there you can always load the project file back into the profile and launch MultiScript again. Currently it is in excel and I am working on a C# class that will do this for you. Message me if you are interested and I will be happy to send you what I have.

Nathan Bell
    Sr. SQL DBA
    Morgan Stanley
  • I'm interested in this too!!
    Greg L. Wright
    Sr. DBA \ Consultant
    snapjag.com