Options

Command line or API for Source Control 3? (developer setup)

freecell1freecell1 Posts: 33
I did some searching but didn't find a definitive answer. Anyone know? I am trying to define our new work process, and it looks like the initial set-up for each developer will include them manually linking to each of 17 databases, as well as manually checking off several hundred static data tables. I have done this myself to get the initial svn repository set up how I want, but I don't want each person to have to go through all these steps.

It does look like maybe the filter file will automatically be set up for each dev, since it is a checked-in file, but for everything else it looks very manual.

I should add that I'd like to also automate Get Latest. Right-clicking every one of the dbs every morning seems too much. I worry that developers will not do it if I make it that onerous.

Comments

• Options
    csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

Currently there is no command-line interface or API for SQL Source Control. However, we do plan to introduce a feature where developers are 'auto-linked' to a database that they have connected to in SSMS and has already been added to a version control respository via SQL Source Control.

Can I ask how each of your developers creates their local development database? Do they use a recent backup of a production database?

You are correct that filters are shared between users as they are stored in the repository. This is also true of static data table links - once you set them up all other developers that connect to that repository should also have those connected.

We have not considered a "Get Latest on all connected databases" feature - either automated or via a button click. We have thought about adding a red marker to databases in the Object Explorer that contain unretrieved changes. This is similar to how the blue markers currently indicate local changes that the user needs to commit. Would that help?

It'd be great if you could vote on this idea on our feedback siteif you'd like to see these indicators - or create a new suggestionfor your "Auto Get Latest" idea.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Chris -

Thanks for the information. I've made comments inline:
    csmith wrote:
    However, we do plan to introduce a feature where developers are 'auto-linked' to a database that they have connected to in SSMS and has already been added to a version control respository via SQL Source Control.

This would help us greatly. With our current process, developers have quite a bit of manual clicking to do to get hooked up to the ~17 databases we have in source control.
    Can I ask how each of your developers creates their local development database? Do they use a recent backup of a production database?

We have a tool (which we wrote in .NET) that copies backups from production, restores them locally, and then runs clean scripts on each database to remove user data like email addresses so we don't accidentally interact with real people when testing. The scripts also replace the production SQL logins and users with development logins that have lowered permissions in other environments.
    You are correct that filters are shared between users as they are stored in the repository. This is also true of static data table links - once you set them up all other developers that connect to that repository should also have those connected.

Great. I tested this out just now. So basically each person has to input the svn url for each database and do a get latest, but they don't have to mess with the filters and static data list. That's manageable.
    We have not considered a "Get Latest on all connected databases" feature - either automated or via a button click. We have thought about adding a red marker to databases in the Object Explorer that contain unretrieved changes. This is similar to how the blue markers currently indicate local changes that the user needs to commit. Would that help?

Yes. I commented on the suggestion. I also created a suggestion for getting latest on multiple databases.

Thanks,

John
  • Options
    csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi John,

Thanks for adding your thoughts to UserVoice. I will post status updates on those entries if/when we start to work on those ideas.

I think it is likely that we will add the 'red marker to databases in the Object Explorer that contain unretrieved changes' feature at some point in the future.

I'm glad that the shared filters and static data links help.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software