Profiled .NET Application cannot access Properties

System:
Using Performance Profiler 6.3 Professional.
.NET 4.0
Visual Studio 2010 Premium
Windows XP SP3 with recent patches (as provided by my employer)

Problem:
** Not a Web Application.
Attempting to profile an application to diagnose a slowdown that occurs either during, prior, or after a Sql Server 2008 procedure call to update a single row in a database table.

App starts in the profiler (using the VS 2010 menu for Performance Profiling). But then the app throws an error about not being able to find the server I use. I've confirmed that the app has the correct connection details.

The best guess I have is.. the connection string uses Windows Authentication (can only be used on an intranet) but the profiler might not be cascading those permissions to connect to the server.

Anyone else had issues with getting the profiled apps to connect to Sql Server using Windows Authentication?

Originally I thought the app wasn't getting access to the app.config but ruled that out with a message box.

Comments

• Here is an extract of part of the error the app throws while profiling is active:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.)
  • I am sharing your conclusion that it is a process-runs-under-different-permission-under-profiling problem.

Take a look, using Task Manager, at what account the profiled process is running under and see if this differs from usual.

One quick solution may be to simply run the profiler, explicitly, as administrator (right click on ANTS.UI.exe)
  • I just checked and it's running under my ID.
  • Any luck if you run the profiler, explicitly, as administrator (right click on ANTS.UI.exe)?
  • Any luck if you run the profiler, explicitly, as administrator (right click on ANTS.UI.exe)?

No luck. I don't have access to the Admin password on the machine.
  • Just found the issue.

It's not with the ANTS Profiler but with the Firewall that the company I work for installed. the firewall is preventing the app from connecting to the local network.

now I just need to work out with local IT how to get this setting toggled.
  • Okey dokey- thanks for letting us know. Sounds like you have a highly secure environment. Just a thought but- if you can set up a virtual machine, you may enable yourself more freedom/privileges...