"Summarizing results..." forever

Hi,

Today I upgraded from Performance profiler 6.* to 7 (developer bundle, to be exact), and cannot get line-level profiling to work anymore. I am profiling a rather large project, and if I choose line-level profiling (only for my code), run my program and select a region - I get the "Summarizing results" screen that sits there forever (I actually waited 2 hours). Before the upgrade (this morning), profiling the same actions in the same project, the wait time was insignificant (not more than a minute at most). Now it doesn't work at all. The project is a large WinForms .NET 4.0 project running from VS 2010. On a small test project line level profiling seems to work fine but on my real project - no go. Method level profiling works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you've run into trouble.
    We're interested in establishing what may be happening here. I'm assuming you never actually get to the point of viewing your results, correct? If you do, then we'd like to see those. Failing that, the log file file would be the next step (you can find the option for this on the Help menu) - can you mail this across to support@red-gate.com, quoting F0058203 in the subject line?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Thanks for replying. You're right, I never get to the point where I could see the results. I have emailed the log to the address you provided, according to it something did go wrong. Let me know if it helps to identify the problem.

Thanks.
    Thanks, I've received the file- will pass it across to the profiler team

Redgate Software

• Thanks for your report, samid, and sorry to hear you're having this problem. We think it may be an example of a bug we have logged, PP-1846 - we're investigating that now. I'll let you know when we have some more news. Thank you.
  • I'm also running into this problem. I just spin forever.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    There is some sort of bug in ANTS Performance Profiler - if you look at the logs, there is probably something around "Tried to access an out of range method ID". (PP-1846)

Profiler will still work in methods-only mode.

So far, nobody has worked out the cause for this.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I've been told that you may be able to get around this problem simply by selecting another area on the timeline. Hopefully that helps.
  • I've been told that you may be able to get around this problem simply by selecting another area on the timeline. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks, that does seem to help.
    If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please try the update available from here.

Please note, this is an untested build intended to correct only the problem described in this thread. If you aren't experiencing this problem then we recommend you don't install this version.

A full fix will be pushed through into Check for Updates in the near future hopefully, and we'll post back when that's available.

Redgate Software