creating a source controlled database with external referenc

mdressemdresse Posts: 2
Can anyone point me to some documentation that explains how to add a database to source control that has references to other databases? DBPro uses composite projects. How does SQL SC3 solve this problem?

Comments

• This isn't something we have explicit support for. With SQL Source Control you would simply source control each database as a separate entity.

Can you explain exactly what the problem is with this approach?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • The example I would have (and would like to understand the best way to make use of the tool also), is that we have a database which has elements to it that has ACL'd resources such as MySQL servers, but the development platform does not. How can you maintain source code which cannot work on the local platform?
  • I don't have a clear idea of the actual problem that you'd like solved. What issues arise with these external references that you'd like for SQL Source Control to help address?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I don't have a clear idea of the actual problem that you'd like solved. What issues arise with these external references that you'd like for SQL Source Control to help address?

David

Hi David,
    thank you for you post back. Our environment has mixed SQL environments, with MS SQL (which I look after) talking to MYSQL [which all is fine on the production environment]. Happy Days.

When I want to work on the code logic etc. I don't want my development Environment system to see the production MYSQL environment but because some of the code that I wish to check out work on has externally references I cannot checkout to work on it.

What I would like is a way if possible to suppress or workaround external (linked servers via ODBC) references.

thanks
    Andy.
  • I think I get it. There are references in your SQL Server 'code' that point at MySQL. You want to stub these out in some way?

Or do you have a test environment that you want to point these references at? In which case we'd need some sort of variable substitution framework.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I think I get it. There are references in your SQL Server 'code' that point at MySQL. You want to stub these out in some way?

Or do you have a test environment that you want to point these references at? In which case we'd need some sort of variable substitution framework.

David

Hi David,

exactly. I almost want to acknowledge the external references, and not have it stop me proceeding.

Unfortunately the MYSQL is not something we have a test environment for.

Andy.
  • How do you currently work around this problem in your test environment?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • How do you currently work around this problem in your test environment?

My test environment is basically my laptop, with all the components I require on it. But not the linked items, which fail to get checked out from source control.