"No results to Display" after running prof session on server

Hi, I am using ANTS profiler 5 to profile a .NET console application developed using VS 2008 .NET framework 3.5SP1. We bought the license few months ago and were using it to evaluate performance of Apps on Dev machines. Last week, we wanted to run a similar test on the server where it normally runs. I copied the source code folder from the dev machine to the server, installed ANTS performance profiler 5 on the server and tried to profile the particular .exe of interest. However I get a "No results to display" screen after the exe runs and exits. The exe is doing what it should, but profiler is not showing any results. Any reasons why. The server is a Windows 2008 server machine running on a VM.

Comments

• Very hard to say what is happening- possibly the app is run with specific permissions that are not enough to write the data to the logged-in account temp directory. Can you try running ANTS explicitly as administrator please?
  • Very hard to say what is happening- possibly the app is run with specific permissions that are not enough to write the data to the logged-in account temp directory. Can you try running ANTS explicitly as administrator please?
    Thanks Chris,
    I remember it asked a question like "Do you want to run as administrator" also prompting that the the program wont ask the question again. I don't clearly remember what I selected. I thought I would uninstall and re installing it, but it didn't ask me that question again. How do I fix this?
  • Hi,
    I am getting really late on this, is there any log file in ANTS profiler that will tell me what the reason is, it just shows me a blank screen - not even a message saying no source code available...
    How do I run this explicitly as Administrator. Right clicking on C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 5\RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe and running as administrator doesn't seem to help.
    Where does it write logs, can I explicitly set permissions for that folder so that it can be written to by All Users(just as a temp fix)?
  • I see this error in Eventviewer->Application logs
    Log Name: Application
    Source: SideBySide
    Date: 2/22/2012 9:33:29 AM
    Event ID: 33
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: ktmqapmd03.ad.99only.com
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 5\ProfilerCore.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-22T15:33:29.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>26622503</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>ktmqapmd03.ad.99only.com</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053"</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 5\ProfilerCore.dll</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
  • Well spotted.

This error may be caused by an improperly-installed Visual C++ Runtime, which is a prerequisite of the Performance and Memory Profilers.

To solve this problem, please reinstall the Visual Studio 2005 C++ runtime and the required ATL update:

32-bit Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 9c36f85647

64-bit Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... a6d7bd44da

Also recommended- The ATL update for both 32 and 64-bit systems, available from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 12bab119c2 If this also appears in any error (e.g. in the Windows application event log):
  • Thanks for the reply, I installed both, but still see the same behavior. I get the same error entry in the Application log - do we need to reboot after installing this. I didn't yet 'coz it takes some time to get approvals around here! Let me know if it is something I should look at, or could there be another issue?
  • Rebooting the server after installing these updates did the trick. Thanks a lot Chris. It would have been helpful if
    1. After installation it had prompted for a reboot
    2. Give some kind of message that it was missing VC++ libraries when I tried to profile app and not just show a scary "No results to display" screen