The loading of the .\SQLEXPRESS server failed because...

oezoezoeoezoezoe Posts: 3
edited October 23, 2013 8:16AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I have added a local SQL Server database to my project in Visual Studio.

I want to add a stored procedure via de server explorer in visual studio 2011 to the local database. When the editor for the stored procedure opens Prompt is comming up with a bunch of the same error message boxes. And every time the editor gets focus another set of the same error boxes is poping up.

"SQL Prompt cannot retrieve object from .\SQLEXPRESS. Possible reasons:"...

In the details window the following message:
The loading of the .\SQLEXPRESS server failed because of Invalid object name 'sysdatabases'.

I think SQL Prompt is looking for stuff in the SQLEXPRESS instance of my local machine, but the database cannot be found there, because it is local SQL Server database created by visual studio.

Please advice

I am using SQL Prompt version 5.2.2.1

Comments

• Hi,

SQL Prompt usually connects to a server only when you request a database from that server. If you downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2010, then it usually installs an instance of SQL Server Express. So when you say you installed the SQL Server from Visual Studio, that tells me that you are probably using SQL Express.

At any rate, the error message implies that you did connect to the server, just the sysdatabases view seems to be missing. As this is part of the information schema of SQL Server, it would be really odd if this view did not exist in the master database schema. You may not have the right permissions to open the master database.
  • The database that is in my project is not attached to the ./sqlexpress instance. It is a database whitch I added via visual studio (add new item and select a new sql database). Since it is not attached to the ./sqlexpress instance there is also no master database and therefor no sysdatabasesview.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sorry, I don't know and this doesn't seem to make sense to me. If you *did* have a SQLEXPRESS instance, or any other Microsoft SQL Server, you would have a master database as it's the metadata catalog for the whole server and it wouldn't work without it.

SQL Prompt should only try to gather information about databases that you attempt to connect to.

Have you got any other information about this message that might be relevant?
  • SQL Prompt only works in VS database projects, and it connects to whatever server you have put in the connection string you find in project properties -> Database.
  • POTOOLEPOTOOLE Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    I'm still experiencing this bug even after upgrade to SQL Prompt 6.1